Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I update 98SE now?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

I had to just wipe a drive and reinstall 98SE. (On the plus side, it's going to be dual-boot linux.) But how do I update 98Se now that support has ended? Is there a place to get all the patches and service packs anymore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

I think you can find them on the microsoft update site somewhere (looked for it, but I couldnt find it).
This link points to a softpedia download for the bundled updates. Please read the description before you decide whether you can use it or not.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Found this site:
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,447 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

I think its the same thing (both are called Service Pack 2.1a), still would prefer the softpedia download link, since Softpedia is a known safe source.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

The official patches and updates for 98 are at the Microsoft Download Center

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

New problem: IE5 opened up to MSN. I configure the hope page to google, and was getting ready to go download IE6.

I click "home" to go to google, and IE5 crashes every time google loads. Tells me there's an error and it must shut down. Now, since the home page is set to google, it crashes every time I open it.

How do I get my homepage reset to something that doesn't crash IE5?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

Can you access internet options thru the control panel without opening IE? If you can, then change the home page to blank or whatever.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,447 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Ouch... Try to see if you can change internet options in the control panel. Problem is, I just cannot picture the Win98 control panel (what, oh what was in it.........). Anyway, if there are internet options or something like that, you can change the homepage from there. This can be an error that is fixed after updating. I would recommend you to download the updates, burn them on a CD or put them on a jump drive and install them BEFORE connecting that computer to the internet (just a precaution).
Many of this kind of errors may be fixed after updating.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Boot to a Safe Mode Command Prompt by pressing F8 repeatedly when you turn the PC on to get to the Boot Menu. At the prompt type in scanreg /restore and pick the most recent restore point from before you made the change.

You need to get updated before anything else, especially IE. IE5 won't function on the net anymore.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

I had to just wipe a drive and reinstall 98SE. (On the plus side, it's going to be dual-boot linux.) But how do I update 98Se now that support has ended? Is there a place to get all the patches and service packs anymore?

Even thou M$ have stopped support for Win98SE they still supply all updates for Win98SE.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

New problem: IE5 opened up to MSN. I configure the hope page to google, and was getting ready to go download IE6.

I click "home" to go to google, and IE5 crashes every time google loads. Tells me there's an error and it must shut down. Now, since the home page is set to google, it crashes every time I open it.

How do I get my homepage reset to something that doesn't crash IE5?

Well that shouldn't happen if you make your own start page in Control Panel - Internet Options. Whether your ISP is controlling the start page or you have some spy ware installed.

Now IE5 is getting a bit old now you maybe better installing IE6.0 SP1 which you can get from M$ or if you download Windows 9x Power Pack 4.0 its in there along with a few more Win98SE updates.

Boot to a Safe Mode Command Prompt by pressing F8 repeatedly when you turn the PC on to get to the Boot Menu.

With Win98SE and WinME you don't need to keep dabbing the F8 key just keep the Ctrl key pressed as it boots up. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#11 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

Even thou M$ have stopped support for Win98SE they still supply all updates for Win98SE.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

[

they do ?
for windows me they dont they only have a few updates but no all the hotfixes and things
go to MSFN.com
and then the windows 9x memebers part
they have heaps of unofffical updates for windows 9x and other tools for em too

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,447 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

I think its not a good idea to try unofficial Windows 98 updates, since there is no guarantee they will work.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#13 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

As a matter of interest, what antivirus program were you thinking of installing on it?

#14 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

As a matter of interest, what antivirus program were you thinking of installing on it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224997/best-anti-malware-setup-for-98se/

Still thinking. :thumbsup:

#15 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

AVAST! good anti virus get that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users