Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed - Unknown Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kieran65

kieran65

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hello,

Firstly I would like to say sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm not good with all this technical jargon and this hijack thing, so I took an educated guess and decided to post here, after, of course, reading the "Read this before posting" thread.

I'm pretty certain I have a virus although I do not know exactly where from. Every so often the screen would go all weird as if only the top row of pixels were dragged all the way down. It was easily solved though. Sometimes it would go off on it’s own, other times I had to press alt + tab to refocus the program. I just thought it was maybe my own fault for being a bit rough with the ‘lid’ of my laptop.

It all started this morning when I got up and turned my laptop on. My digital camera (which is old) and lead were still plugged in to one of my USB ports. When it started, it kept rebooting itself after the 'Fujitsu' screen came up. I took it out and tried again. This time it got past the screen but instead of saying "Start Windows Normally (recommended)” it said something like “Windows Repair (recommended)”. Please note I don’t know the exact phrasing because I didn’t bother to pay much attention to it, but the idea was the same. So, I did that and it said something similar to “Windows is loading the files”. Then, however, the ‘top row of pixels’ thing happened again, and not being able to alt + tab, I decided to reboot. The second time the program came up fine and after scanning through the information bit, I noticed it said something like “Windows may restart several times during this process. If it does and your computer is not fixed, just retry it”. So when it restarted, it did work and everything was well.

Quite a panic, I thought, so I decided to run a virus check with the free AVG 8.0 scanner. But, it wouldn’t open. I thought it was odd so after various attempts at trying to get it open, I decided to completely remove it from my computer using the ‘Uninstall program’ thing, but I get this message:
http://i39.tinypic.com/11vp4io.jpg

After clicking details I get this message:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2sajswp.jpg
Which, when copy and pasted, says this:
” Installer initialization failed due to following error:
Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
@AvgErrorCode_0x0020.

I tried Googling this error and found a Yahoo Answers page instructing someone to run ‘regedit’ and delete the files. I followed the instructions but nothing happened! Another answer suggested re-installing AVG and selecting the repair option. Good idea I thought. That is, until the download had completed: (I know this isn’t an AVG download pictured, but it was the same effect and as you can see, it didn’t work with a later download either).
As you can probably tell, it’s unclickable. At first I thought it was an AVG thing so after asking my father, he suggested getting a better anti-virus program called Comodo. However, the same thing happened when I did that.
I again tried Googling help on viruses, but most involve using a scanner which unfortunately as you can see, I don’t actually have one available.

Just this second after writing the previous paragraph I tried deleting the AVG icon on my desktop and I got this rather worrying set of files appear before me when I clicked ‘Yes’ to ‘Are you sure?’. Here they are and this is what happened when I clicked delete on both of them, but I have yet to delete them as I don’t know what they are:
http://i42.tinypic.com/33mpuad.jpg

I really need a miracle!

Also as I said I’m a beginner when it comes to these things, so I’ll try and post as much info as possible but I do apologise if I leave anything out, please reply and tell me what (and if necessary how) to post them!
Here’s some things that...look very helpful. :S

http://i41.tinypic.com/mb3m06.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2nqf8up.jpg

Thank you,
Kieran.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to BC
Please download and run the AVG removal tool
http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kieran65

kieran65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but that's the problem! I have AVG and whatever this thing is, it is not letting me run, remove nor even re-install AVG or any program for that matter. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

commonpriv.log.lock is an AVG file located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avg8\Log\ folder.

Please perform an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner.
(Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.)
  • Click on the Posted Image ...button.
  • The program will launch and fill in the Information section ... on the left.
  • Read the "Requirements and Limitations" then press... the Posted Image ...button.
  • The program will begin downloading the latest program and definition files.
    It takes a while... please be patient and let it finish.
  • Once the files have been downloaded, click on the Posted Image ...button.
    In the scan settings make sure the following are selected:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
      By default the above items should already be checked.
    • Click the Posted Image ...button, if you made any changes.
  • Now under the Scan section on the left:Select My Computer
  • The program will start and scan your system. This will run for a while, be patient... let it run.
    Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected.
  • Save the scan results as a Text file ... save it to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste the saved scan results file in your next reply.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users