Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

duplicate processes: svchost.exe & ati2evxx.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bentley314

Bentley314

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

I have noticed that i have 5 svchost.exe processes running on my computer and 2 ati2evxx.exe processes. I know that these two are safe processes. I heard that viruses/worms/spyware can duplicate processes in order to clog up your memory and mess up your computer. My HijackThis log is clean, i have no viruses (3 different Anti-Virus Scans), and no known spyware (from all the essential scans). All together, the five svchost.exe use up appx 27,000k and the two ati2evxx.exe only use up 1000k of memory. Although, it doesnt seem like its hogging much memory, i'm still interested in why i seem to have such duplicate processes, whether this is a bad or negligible thing, and is there a way to fix this? Thanx in advanced for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

I've got 8 svchost.exe's running, and I think that's normal (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). I don't know about the ati2evxx.exe.

I've also got 2 rundll.exe processes running, so if someone who knows more about duplicate processes could clarify that, I would appreciate that as well.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

Having several instances of svchost.exe running at the same time is quite normal. I am not sure about the ATI multiple processes,since those are video card specific.
rundll and svchost processes, depending on their file location, can either be legitmate/ or instances of malware. Chances are, that if you have a clean HTJ log, and have run both spyware and anti-virus applications, then you have nothing to worry about.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bentley314

Bentley314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

thanx for ur help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users