Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

your very first computer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

My very first use of any computer i belive i was 8 years old and i was in probably 2nd or 3rd grade. (1988?) my school had a comptuer lab, and all i remember was that the screens were green! It was probably the Apple II series, i really have no idea. All i remember playing was Oregon Trail and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego!

The first time i ever use the internet was in 1996. My dad bought a computer (IBM thats all i remember) about 2 years before, which i belive was running Windows 3.1 (the version before Windows 95) and after finally begging him to install AOL, it was almost pure magic listening to that squelsh (dial up modem) for the first time. We did finally upgrade to Windows 95, Now i just look back and laugh!

My very first computer i bought was the Dell Dimension 8200 back in 2002 (see my profile). It had 256MB of RAM. 40GB hdd, 1.8Ghz Pentium 4 CPU, and came with Windows XP (before the SP1 was out) Well after upgrading to 1.25Gb of RAM, 80 hhd, and 2.4Pentuim 4 CPU, it was destroyed in a house fire in 2008.

Anyone want to talk about thier computer "first" time?

Edited by Derek Ellis, 10 May 2009 - 04:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:32 AM

Haha, I remember that! 1992
I was what... ten years old and my uncle brought us his old 286 (I think), green and black screen. I terminated that computer, that I know. It had all kind of things installed, but not just ordinarily from C-prompt, it had some kind of text-only mode. Anyhow, its harddisk crashed after a year. But that was where I first entered the world of Kingsquest (3, I had no clue as what to do, but I still play it... LOL).
After that my parents decided to buy a decent 486 (that was the one I had my first virus on, I say me, because I was the only one that had a vague idea on what to do with a PC, and where I installed first time Windows 3.11, my father even started a small fire when he installed a cd-rom drive and forced the IDE cable).

That were the times!

BTW - I will request this topic to be moved to the General chat forum, since its more appropriate for this topic.

Edited by elise025, 10 May 2009 - 04:33 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Combat_Wombat

Combat_Wombat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

i found Oregon trail deluxe and ran it on dos box the other week, managed to make it all the way with no deaths

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

I don't remember the first time I used a computer, but it was probably around the time I was in kindergarten.

I bought a computer with my own money back in fall of 2005. I was in 8th grade, and I think it was around $700. I mowed a lot of lawns, and shoveled a lot of driveways for that money :flowers: .

I still have the computer, but now it's in my basement for my dad's use. It's a Dell Dimension 3000, 2.8ghz Pentium 4, 512mb ram, 80gb hard drive, and the best part, it had a 15" LCD monitor :thumbsup: ! All my friends started flipping out when they saw I had not only a computer in my room, but an LCD screen, which no one around here had one yet.

After upgrading the computer to 1gb of ram, and putting a lousy PCI graphics card in it (I'm still upset that Dell didn't put either a AGP or PCIex16 slot in it) I finally built my own computer over a year ago. That Dell was my test subject though, and when I think about what I did while ripping it apart, I'm surprised the computer turns on still!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

Well I had an Amiga 500 http://www.amiga.com/about/history/index.p...past&p=a500
With 1 meg of ram and a 30 meg hard drive that cost me $950 AU
MCP
MSDST

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

Does the TI99 count? I got that in the 80's, I was in my 20's. But my first desktop was a Packard Bell, 286 with a 25mgz Intel chip.. I think. A year later I bought 3 more for my wifes bussiness, upgraded the chip to a 75mgz, wow was that fast! :flowers:

Ooops, I forgot, my first desktop was actually an Amstrad. Had a RGB monitor and 2 51/4" floppy drives. I put a 20meg HD in it later. Took all day to do it and I thought I'd never be able to fill it up... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 11 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:35 AM

How about an Altair 8080. I built it myself from a kit in Popular Electronics. If I can remember it was a Texas Instrument or Motorola 4-bit chip. It was a verrrry long time ago.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

Mine was a ZX Spectrum. A machine code wailing, tape playing, Crash magazine reading, box of magic at the time.

Others had proper PCs with, pah!, non-rubber keyboards and yet I loved my Speccy. The games industry did too and made some of the most innovative games around at that time. For those who remember (UK, around 35 years old mainly) this spawned such software programming companies as Imagine, Ocean, Ultimate and the excellent Mikro-Gen.

I'm sure I could list a lot more if I thought about it.

For those unaware of the mighty Sinclair Spectrum i will divert you to this page.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

I just had to do this again.

1949 - I was 4 years old. Got a system that taught me to read, spell and write.
Later I used it for serious work.

Called an Abacus... Ten lines of beads. Numbered and lettered in Chinese. (Hundreds of years old unit.)

No electric needed - just a finger.

I still have it. And use it.....

And no, it's not for sale.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

1949 - I was 4 years old.

I had no idea you were that old, Koan.

An abacus, eh? Do you have a link to a picture of one of these ancient computers? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

best I can do. http://webhome.idirect.com/~totton/abacus/Photos/

It is similar to the Russian noted schoty (счёты).

Mine is from about 1600 or before?

I had to replace one brass wire a couple years ago as I broke it.

One can do complex math with such if trained.

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Actually, they are really attractive pieces.

One would look pretty good on a shelf as an ornament.
Posted Image

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

I remember using an abacus at school, I believe I was 8 years old then and it was used to learn us the basics of math (decimals etc).... For someone with my non-abstract brain quite a good way to learn too....

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#14 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

I actually smoked my Calc teacher in HS with such. He gave me a C for the first quarter.

I did some extra part-time work, bought a slide rule to display, but did the home work other wise.... with the Abacus.

He was a 'Forest Gump' trainee
I work crypto now in the mind...he he he

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Tandy TRS80. I can't recall the model number but it was one unit. Similar to the one here: (mine was an ugly brown color)
http://oldcomputers.net/trs80iii.html

Our next one was an EDS. Separate components, state-of-the-art at that time. GM bought EDS and as a GM employee, my husband was able to get a system at a huge discount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users