Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moogs

Moogs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

Okay, I don't have the official Windows XP CD, because Dell didn't find it necessary to give me one of those, so I'm stuck booting to the recovery console through the six floppy disks. I've done that, and am currently in the recovery console, and I'm trying to run chkdsk /r as I am supposed to, according to Microsoft. However, it's telling me that AutoChk.exe is missing. I don't know where to get a copy of it. Also, am I even doing the right thing in trying to chkdsk? Thanks a lot!

EDIT -- I'm going to try copying the AutoChk.exe from this computer to a floppy and running from that... I'll let you know what happens.

EDIT 2 -- Okay, I think I've solved my own problem... it seems to be running the chkdsk /r command now. I'll post if anything else comes up, thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by Moogs, 24 June 2005 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moogs

Moogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

Ooookay... bad news, I get to 25%, and then it says "This drive appears to have one or more unrecoverable problems." What the hell does that mean, and is it fixable? :thumbsup:

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

Download Everest Home Edition and see what it tells you about the status/health of your hard drive.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

#4 Moogs

Moogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:49 PM

Download Everest Home Edition and see what it tells you about the status/health of your hard drive.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

I'm guessing that requires access to Windows? I may be wrong, but if it does, I can't use it, I can't get into Windows at all, just the recovery console. :thumbsup:

#5 Moogs

Moogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

Also posting to say that when I say start Windows normally, it goes to the Windows loading screen, then it freezes.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

Try loading it in "safe mode".

#7 Moogs

Moogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

Try loading it in "safe mode".

Yep, I've done that before, unfortunately, it goes through all the files it's loading, then it crashes. I've tried all variations on safe mode, all get the same thing. I'm trying to download Knoppix to get the data off then I'll just do a fresh format, assuming I can get Knoppix to work, annnnd assuming I can find a way to format this beast. I'm pretty sure Dell didn't include any such CDs :-/

#8 Moogs

Moogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

Okay, I got Knoppix running, but now I can't get it to recognize my keyboard... I'll play around for a bit, can anyone help me out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users