Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing from Vista 64 laptop to 32 bit XP networked printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smackdab

smackdab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hi folks,

I have a problem that is making me scratch my head. I have a new 64 bit Vista based laptop from which I would like to print to an old HP Deskjet 940c printer hanging off of a 32 bit Windows XP pro machine.

The printer is already shared with 2 other computers in my house. The laptop has no problem wirelessly accessing the files & folders on the shared computer. It also shows me the printer. When I go to add the new printer, Vista tells me the a suitable driver is not on the host computer. This makes sense because all of the other machines sharing the printer are 32 bit XP or 32 bit Vista based.

I tried 2 approaches to get around the problem. First, I tried adding an additional driver by opening the properties page for the HP printer and then selecting the Sharing tab (on the XP machine). I pressed the Additional Drivers button and selected x64. Windows then asked for the location of the driver and I realized I did not have it handy.

I went to the HP website to download a 64 bit Vista driver but the website told me the driver was built into Vista so there was nothing to download. This was a bummer since the computer hosting the printer is XP.

I then plugged the printer directly into the laptop via a USB cable. The printer installed right away. I then hooked the printer back up to the XP machine and went into Printers & Faxes on the Vista machine. My goal was to take the printer with the correct driver and try and change the assigned port to point to the computer on the network. I entered the Printer Properties section and went to the Ports tab. I then created a local port and pointed it to the LAN based printer. Unfortunately this did not work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might point the laptop to the shared printer or where I might find a 64 bit printer driver for the HP deskjet 940c?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smackdab

smackdab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Solved.

Hooking the printer directly to the laptop and then changing the port was the way to go. This did not appear to work at first because Vista ended up thinking the printer was off-line and would not show it as on-line.

When I right clicked on the printer's icon and selected "Use Printer Online", the printers status immediately changed to on-line and I was able to print over my wireless connection to the printer shared on my XP based desktop.

smackdab

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for posting your fix
Others will benifit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Viking Ship

Viking Ship

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hey....my friend is having the exact same problem so I havent try to do the switching online thing yet. When you said changing the port was the way to go....what port do you mean?
Thanks,
Jacob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users