Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please,major problem!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MustangMuscle86

MustangMuscle86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:41 AM

Okay,I am trying to fix my Grandmother's computer.

It's a HP Pavillion 522c using Windows XP Home Edition.

A few weeks ago we turned it off when we left for a funeral.When we got back it said it couldn't boot,insert system disk.Well,we finally got what we needed,the system recovery disks.I went to use the first system recovery disk,and got this message:

Ho Hard Disk Found.
System Recovery Cannot Be Completed!

Press any key to continue.

When I press a key,I get asked to reboot...I reboot and it does the same thing.

Now is this fixable and how do I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:17 PM

Are you comfortable with opening up the case of the computer and checking on the power and ribbon cable connections to the harddisk? That's the first things I would check if the system is reporting that no harddisk is even detected. I would unplug and replug where the power is and unplug and replug both ends of the ribbon cable (the hd end and the motherboard end).

Any chance the computer is still under warranty?

#3 MustangMuscle86

MustangMuscle86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:18 PM

Are you comfortable with opening up the case of the computer and checking on the power and ribbon cable connections to the harddisk? That's the first things I would check if the system is reporting that no harddisk is even detected. I would unplug and replug where the power is and unplug and replug both ends of the ribbon cable (the hd end and the motherboard end).

Any chance the computer is still under warranty?

I have no clue,I can ask.

And no,I am not comfortable with that,lol.I'll see if my friend can do it,or explain it to me.

Thank you very much.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, time to call in a favor it sounds like. If after checking the drive out on this computer you might ask your friend if they would 'slave' the drive to their PC and see if it can be recognized in theirs.

Good luck.

#5 RoyC

RoyC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

I would suggest you see what BIOS tells you about the drive.
There are several ways that different computers use to get into BIOS.
They usually tell you in the first text screens.
The most common is to press the DEL key while memory test is running, if you can't get to it the first couple of times start pressing the DEL key about a second or 2 after you reset or power on the system and repeat pressing it as fast as you can. :thumbsup:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:48 PM

If the motherboard battery died due to the machine not being used you can go into the Bios and auto-detect the hard drive again while booting (if that function is there). A dead battery will make your CMOS "forget" its settings. I'm thinking that is the likely scenario. In any event, replace the battery while your inside the machine. Its a $5 item that needs to be changed occasionally anyway.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users