Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed (What is the SDold Folder in Windows)/

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

My PC is an AMD Athlon XP2400+ with 1GB of RAM.
OS is SP2 with all available updates.
Windows Firewall, Avira Antivirus v9 and Spyware Blaster as real time protection.
Superantispyware, Malwarebytes A-Squared as on demand scanners.
Auto-Runs and Hi-Jack This installed.
All programs up to date and used regularly.

I am as sure as can be that my PC is clean and all my scans tell me this as well. My PC is working fine but I have a question and hope that someone here can answer it.
I have noticed the last twice while doing a scan using SAS that the C:\WINDOWS\SDold\Downloads folder takes ages to scan and so decided to investigate why. I clicked on WINDOWS and while hovering over the SDold floder noticed that it was 1.11GB big. I opened the folder and there were several sub folders inside but the one called Downloads held 1.1GB alone the others held from several KB to 1-2MB. Maybe this is normal but I would just like to check with someone knowledgeable on it.

A few weeks back after reformatting my PC and reinstalling my Programs etc I installed IE8 but could not get Windows Update to work. I did a search on Google on my problem and found it was a known problem and pointed me to a fix with a Microsoft article on it where although I can't remember the whole thing I had to rename the Software Distribution folder in WINDOWS to SDold. After following the instructions I had to reboot my PC for the changes to take effect and it worked. I could now access Microsoft Update problem free. The article said that on reboot the Software Distribution folder would be replaced from a back up which would solve the update problem. It never said to delete the old SD folder so i just left it. Which is why I am surprised that it now has 1.1GB of files in it. Can anyone offer some light on this situation?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:24 AM

Someone.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 aloksaini

aloksaini

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

simply copy the folder to another location and delete it
if any problem occurs copy it to its original location
simple

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

This may shed some light on your question:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10575

It would seem that the distribution file can easily be removed and will be re-installed the next time automatic updates is used if I understand this correctly...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the replies Alaksaini and OGP, I had a feeling that might be the case so thanks again for the confirmation.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

OS is SP2 with all available updates.

Why not update to SP3 (or is it a typo)?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

I can't Elise025,
I have tried four times now and it partially installs and then tells me it cannot continue with the installation as something it expected to find is missing and then proceeds to roll back to SP2 leaving me with a listing for SP3 on the left hand side of my ARP list but nothing on the right. I then need to use a Microsoft tutorial method to remove SP3 from my PC. The fourth and last time I tried I also ended up having to reinstall a few other programs which didn't work properly after the uninstall. My Copy of XP Home Edition is a legal copy I got with my PC so it isn't anything to do with that. After that I gave up on it. I am very security conscious and keep my PC clean with regular scans etc. I also keep it up to date including MS updates although I now use the custom option as I got fed up with it downloading SP3 to my desktop. I would like to install it I had it on my previous install but for some strange reason I have a problem with it this time.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

Did you try a repair installation (that rolls back your XP to how it is on your CD, you loose all updates so far). The advantage of that is that only XP is affected, all programs remain the same, and you loose no non-windows personal data. After that you will have to install your servicepacks (best is to burn them on a CD before, so you will not have to download loads of stuff after the repair).

My point is, it is not normal that sp3 will not install, it means something is not quite right with your PC.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

Yes I twice tried a repair install and got the same result both times. I am happy enough with my PC at the moment it is working ok but I do hope that whatever is wrong corrects itself the next time I do a full reformat and it will update to SP3. It is just that at the moment it is more bother than it is worth to go through the whole install/uninstall thing another time.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

Yes, I understand that. You can try to slipstream SP3 next time you do a reinstall and maybe then it will install all right. Be aware there is a known issue of XP SP2 not willing to update as it should after a repair install.
Here is a microsoft-article on that subject, maybe it can help you.

regards, Elise

#11 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the link Elise025, after reading it I think it may have some bearing on my problem but will just wait until I reformat again anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users