Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing + Restarting Frequently

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 harry569

harry569

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

For about a month now I've had so much hassle with my pc. It's about 2 years old and has been updated a few times with better parts. About a month ago I got it shipped from France to England and when it arrived it had had mild outer box damage, but seemed to be working fine.

Note : PC Specs

2GB DDR Ram
Intel Duo 6200 2.0ghz (I think)
Nvidia 7800GT Graphics Card
Maxor 250GB SATA 7500RPM Hard Drive
600W Decent Quality PSU (Brand New)

Anyway, so within the last couple of weeks, I've had a lot of weird problems with my pc. I will list as many as I can remember.

- Random Restarts
- Random Freezes
- Loss of Sound, then mouse and keyboard go too and then Pc freezes.
- Computer not starting up properly(Have to turn off and on again to work)

I have to reformat the PC one a week, because after a week, a nice new error appears. Everytime its to do with either Windows being corrupted somehow, or a hard drive problem.

Also my computer had 6 USB Ports/Slots, over the past 6 weeks, 3 of them have now broken, and cannot be used. The freezes always start with USB Slots and Audio slots at the back of pc not working so entire pc just freezes.

I talked to a mate, we thought it was the PSU which was making very strainy sounds, so I bought a new one and for about 2 days it was flawless. Then it started doing all of the above again, I manage to sort it again by removing one of my gfx cards which seemed to be over heating, and again that more or less fixed the problem for a few days,

Now Im back to square one, pc is fine when not playing games, but after playing World of Warcraft for 10 minutes, my pc just freezes completely. It's not an over heating problem, I know that for sure, my GFX Card is at 80 degrees when playing and doesn't overheat.

My hard drive makes very weird noises and vibrates repetitively sometimes.

I honestly don't know what to do now. I got a new PSU and it didn't fix it, I reformat and it doesn't fix it. I remove my bad GFX Card and it doesn't fix it.

The problem seems to be something to do with the USB/Anything Slots at the back of the PC, but it could also be the hard drive...or motherboard bad maybe? or even corrupted Ram.

I honestly don't know and I just really want someone to help me figure this out, I just need to find out what is the problem so I can get it fixed. This problem is so irritating and I feel like im wasting money lol, since PSU didn't fix it.

Any ideas or help very much appreciated, and if you need me to get you any more info please say so and I will asap. Thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

It sounds like the had drive is failing.

If it were me I'd replace the hard drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 harry569

harry569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

I replaced it and still same problem. Meaning its the Motherboard?

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

You did a fresh install of Windows when you replaced the hard drive ?

Download memtest86,

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/memtest86.html

Use a disk burning program like Nero that has the "Burn image to disk" feature to make a disk.

If you don't have a program with the feature download & install ISORecorder,

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm

After the disk is made leave it in the drive & restart the computer.
Let it boot from the disk.
Let it run all of the tests at least once.
When it finishes the tests [8, I think] it will start over .
It will keep running untul you manually stop it.
If you get any errors, period, you have at least 1 bad memory stick.
In that situation , if you have more then 1 stick, test them 1 at a time.
Replace any bad sticks found.
If you have more then 1 stick & only 1 is bad remove it & try the unit.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 harry569

harry569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Ok I will do that now.

#6 harry569

harry569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

(Sorry for double post)

I ran the test and it 100% passed no errors, after leaving it for 1hour +.

This means its not the : Hard Drive, Ram, Graphics Card, (I know its not the CD Drive).

Surely this means it has to be the Motherboard?. It make sense with the USB ports etc dying, the random restarts and random freezes.

If this is correct, could anyone point me in the direction of new Mobo that is good enough to support my PC (and SLI When I get another gfx card).

If you could pick one from the list from pcoption would be great. Link is here : http://pcoption.co.uk/motherboards/index3.htm

Note : I don't have loads of money, so Im really looking for the cheapest thing but will run my system with no problems.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

I would not rule out the PSU before testing it, via temporary replacement.

Louis

#8 harry569

harry569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

PSU Is like 2 weeks old, So I really don't think its that since I just got it replaced.

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Do you by chance know the make & model of the power supply ?

If it is under powered it will cause the same problems.

BTW, The stasted "Watts" isn't the only thing to take into consideration.

The fact is you're pretty much down to the PSU or the motherboard .

#10 harry569

harry569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

Well the PSU Cost me 55 pounds, and the guy said it was decent, I know he was trying to sell it ovbiously, but it seemed at least ok. 650W, X-Power PSU or something

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Well, You've pretty much narrowed it down to a faulty motherboard.

If it were me in a final effort I would remove EVERYTHING that wasn't neccessary for the computer to actually work & see if the problem goes away.
If it were still there then I'd condem the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users