Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Microsoft Security Updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Howdy,

I have been putting off downloading IE-8. I have read that many people are having all kinds of problems with it.
I am wondering though if I am compromising my computers security by not doing so.
I currently have XP Home, IE-7, SP-3.

One of my questions is will Microsoft still have security downloads available for IE-7 or will all security updates from now on pertain only to IE-8 ?

I have my computer set to receive automatic priority downloads but there has not been any since 4-25-09.

When I check the download site all I see is IE-8 ready for me to download. Which begs another question. Why did IE-8 not download automatically ? (I am glad it didn't, just curious)

Thanks for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

Usually larger downloads will notify you but not actually download. That was true of SP3. IE8 is supposed to be more secure. I was using an ISP branded version of IE6 and it was getting awfully buggy. My ISP isn't upgrading so I upgraded to IE8 last week and ditched the branded browser. My computer seems to be browsing faster and no more bugs. So far so good.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply frankp316.

Will Microsoft continue to service IE-7 with security patches ?

Edited by Dennis H, 09 May 2009 - 02:54 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

I don't know.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. You and I are not the only ones that don't know, thats for sure. :flowers:

I have searched the internet looking for the answer and can't find it. I e-mailed microsoft twice in the last 5 days and have recieved no reply. :thumbsup:

Dennis :trumpet:

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

My understanding is Microsoft is urging users to upgrade from IE7 to IE8 mainly for better security. I never really used IE7. I went from IE6 to IE8. My guess would be that IE7 won't be updated anymore because they would consider it outdated and concentrate on IE8.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks.

I just updated to IE-8 to play it safe. The update was successful and so far so good. No trouble.

Just curious, were you getting security updates for IE-6 after IE-7 was released ?

Edited by Dennis H, 10 May 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

Not that I recall.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Will Microsoft continue to service IE-7 with security patches ?

Take a look at this 'Lifecycle Matrix' http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?C2=807

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

That answers all of my questions.

Thanks for the information Animal.