Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu boot problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OS51

OS51

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

I recently got an Ubuntu 9.04 CD from Canonical, and I'm having trouble with it.

First off, it loads alright. When I select the "Try Ubuntu" option, it first gives me an error about some "DMV" year needed in BIOS to operate ACPI or something, then another ACPI error, and then goes to a screen that says "ubuntu" with a sliding bar underneath it. I assume that's the loading screen.

Then, it goes to a blinking line. Eventually (or not) it spits out a bunch of what are apparantly error traces, and takes me to some kind of command prompt.

So, I rebooted it, and ran the "Check disc for defects" option. When I do this, an error eventually comes up saying that it can't access the boot CD, and it forces me to reboot.

I tried loading it with the option "acpi = off" on, but that too produced the "Unable to read boot CD" error. I also tried loading it under Windows, but wubi.exe simply won't run, normally or under command prompt.

Thanks,
-OS51

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

I recently got an Ubuntu 9.04 CD from Canonical

I'm assuming you ordered the CD by mail. This kinda confuses me, because I don't see why it would act this way. From what I read, it tried to boot, failed, then refused to boot. If Wubi doesn't run at all, I suspect you got a bad CD. If you have a CD burner, you can try downloading an image from their site and burning it to a blank CD and seeing if it'll run then. Make sure you check its checksum.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

There's nothing wrong with the CD. I recently got a CD burned, on another computer, and this one wouldn't even recognize that it was in the drive, but it does this one. I suspect that that means that this CD is alright. It may well be a problem with the disc or the files on it, but knowing my worthless machine, it's more likely a problem with the CD drive. I run Windows ME and I have an Intel Celeron processor. It may be the CD, again, but I hope not, because this computer has no CD burner, and I would have to order another CD from Canonical, and this time, it might not get here so fast.

I was also just trying to get it to boot, and this time I got the I/O error before I even hit the loading screen. I've tried several boot options, but none helped.

-OS51

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, it's probably the CD drive. I actually had something like this happen a few days ago. I just changed drives and it worked.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

Really? How do you propose I change CD drives, considering I've only got the one. :thumbsup:

Lol, I can't afford to go out and buy some kind of external drive that probably wouldn't work with Windows ME.

-OS51

#6 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Really? How do you propose I change CD drives, considering I've only got the one. :thumbsup:

Lol, I can't afford to go out and buy some kind of external drive that probably wouldn't work with Windows ME.
-OS51

Replace your internal CD drive. They're dirt cheap.

I'll send you one if you reside in the US.

Jim

#7 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

It's nice of you to offer, but do you really expect me to give you my address?

-OS51

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

Jim

-OS51

No. That would be unwise. Not to say that you're some kind of psychopath, Jim P, but you might be! :thumbsup: Never, ever give out your home address or other personally identifiable information online. Ever. Period.

#9 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

Jim

-OS51

No. That would be unwise. Not to say that you're some kind of psychopath, Jim P, but you might be! :thumbsup: Never, ever give out your home address or other personally identifiable information online. Ever. Period.

How does one buy and sell on ebay or other web sites with classifieds without giving ones address???

I was offering OSS1 a free CD drive because it beats throwing it in the trash.

Wondered why there's no classifieds here, now I know.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Security is our #1 priority. I buy and sell through CL using a pre-pay cell until I am sure the party is of good standing. and we ebay via a UPS store drop box (I use moms account because I have no Credit Card, personal choice). It costs more to operate that way but we are alot safer and we dont have to be home to pickup or send. (and the UPS Store is right next to her work). also a good choice is a pre-paid Credit Card.

Asfor a CD-ROM or burner (or DVD ROM or burner) they're dirt cheap now (I saw an internal CD-ROM for $15 the other day) also one can pick up used PC's Dirt cheap or even free if one knows were to look (try yard sales and Craigslist.org for best prices on used PC parts)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users