Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware problem - referred here by fenzodahl512

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xXSenile

xXSenile

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

My computer is currently malware free. Fenzodahl512 referred me here since he was not sure how to fix the problem I have. My problems are as follows: I cannot see the green volume bar (function + up) anymore, I cannot use the built in microphone with my acer computer. Also, the screen sometimes goes black and it won't get out of the black screen UNLESS you physically move the screen manually (so moving the mouse of typing doesn't get out of the black screen).

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

1. Is your sound still working? Can you adjust volume in control panel?

2. Do you have the driver disc for the laptop? You may need to reinstall the drivers for the microphone. You can also find the drivers from the manufacturer's website if you have the model number of the laptop.

3.If physically moving it fixes it, then there may be a loose connection going to the screen. If you feel comfortable, unscrew the plastic border around the screen, and check the connections.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My sound is still working, and you can adjust the volume in the control panel but the green bar no longer shows up. I am not sure how to reinstall the drivers, but my computer is an Acer Aspire One if that would let you help me in doing so. Do you think I should take it to a shop for the screen? Because I am not sure if I unscrew it if it will become worse or not....

Thanks!

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/27/up...a-drivers-acer/ Go there and download and install the Realtek Audio drivers.

You could take it to a shop if you really want the problem to be fixed, and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It may be a failing screen altogether, but I suggested checking the cables first before going out and buying a new screen.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hi,

I went to the site as instructed and I downloaded the realtek audio drivers. However, after installation, the green bars that should be there, are STILL not there! So if it isn't the sound driver what could it be?!

Also, If I want to check the connection, all I have to do is unscrew the bottom of my laptop? But how will I know if there is a loose connection?

Thanks!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

If its under warranty I would return it to the place you bought it. You dont want to open it up and void your warranty. There are videos on you tube on how to dissasemble the Acer aspire one. I just did a memory upgrade on one that requires the complete removal of the motherboard. Be sure to take pictures of the screw locations as suggested. Dissasembly instructions. Also be carefull when uplugging the keyboard and the touch pad connections they are delicate. Remeber the locks need to be gently pried up then the cables slide out. As a side note be sure to never loose the hard drive password if you have enabled it. Its near impossible to hack and the manufacture charges 150.00 to remove it. Most likely the install a new HDD.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2009 - 01:17 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

But even if I were to try and disassemble my laptop, it would just fix the screen problem. Is there any way to get the green bars back for the sound? The reinstallation of the realtek audio drivers did nothing.

Cheers!

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

If the FN key working? Have you tried using FN and a different combination, say up and down arrows which are generally for the brightness?

#9 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

Every other function command works including the brightness, its just the green bars no longer appears. The sound function works as well, its just the green bars no longer appears after reinstallation and malaware removal. I dunno what it could be.

#10 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Any help on the situation?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

Have you looked into your device manager and checked for missing drivers (a yellow exclamation mark next to a device entry)?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

I have looked for missing drivers (there are none), and I have reinstalled the acer realtek driver. All the function keys work, its just that the green bars are no longer there when I use the function up or function down command! That does not make any sense to me at all.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

There doesnt seem to be a logical solution to the problem. Asside from the green bars no long appearing is everything else working properly?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#14 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

Yea I think so. Everything seems to be working other than the green bars showing up anymore. Plus the screen problem I mentioned earlier where the screen randomly goes black and the only way to get out of that is to physically move the screen back and forth (typing or button pushing doesn't work to remove the black screen, although everything you do registers). Would the two be linked? But somehow I don't see the connection.

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

Seems like it could be a loose plug. or your LCD is going out on you. Both of which requires disassembling the laptop.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users