Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop refuses to start!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shia

Shia

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 (replaced in its entirety last year by claiming my warranty). Two nights ago I left it on when I went to bed...I woke up the next morning and the laptop was dead.

I've checked my main battery and the extra I have lying around - they're both working fine. The AC adapter is also fine - however, the green light (on the adapter) comes on when I plug it into the wall, but the light disappears when I plug it into the laptop. (And when I remove the plug from the laptop, the light stubbornly stays off.)

So this makes me positive that the problem is with the laptop itself, and I am leaning towards some kind of problem with the power circuits in the motherboard.

Does that sound about right? Any suggestions? (And how much would it cost me to change the motherboard, if that is the problem?)

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

It sounds like a dead motherboard. You can however go through the computer and make sure all the connections are secure. Make sure the heatsink/fan is snugly connected to the processor too.

I'm not familiar with that type of laptop, but you'll have to get that specific model's motherboard to have it fit properly. Also, I don't know if it's common anymore, but I've seen laptops before that the processor is built into the motherboard. If so, that's going to make it cost more. If the laptop is a couple years old, unless you find a deal on ebay for the motherboard, you may be better off selling the parts, and buying a new laptop. Laptop LCD screens can sell for a decent amount.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Shia

Shia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for responding!

I looked up motherboards for the model and it seems to run around $200...I'd rather get a new laptop instead of bothering with that kind of fix. I'm not a tech genius, so I'm going to take it in to a nearby computer store to get a proper analysis of the issue.

Any ideas where to sell the parts if it comes down to that? eBay and...?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

You could maybe do craigslist and sell to local people, but ebay may be best. You could probably see if the computer store wants any of it, but you would probably get the most on ebay..
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Shia

Shia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

So it was the motherboard, and the estimate to fix it was high enough that a new laptop is more reasonable.

And I'll look into selling it for parts...

Thanks (again) for responding!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users