Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

I have the Netgear 54mbps Modem Router DG834G v2 and it has given me good service.

Lately, however, my router flashes orange and I lose my connection. The colour,as you know, should be green, and, after a while it does settle down to the latter colour.

I have noticed when I click on "View available wireless connections" that I now have my neighbour's wireless connection listed as well as mine. Both are encrypted but I can tell when he comes on line as my router flashes orange and I lose connection.

We are with defferent servers.

Is there anything I can do about this? The router is about two years old and I would expect it to last longer than this or am I being optimistic?

I have always found helpful answers from bleeping computer experts. Are you able to offer some (green ! ) light on my "problem", please?
My thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

hm i have had the exact same problem, i think so atleast. I also had the problem that my was connection changing all the time. I found out that both my neighbours had a wireless connection, and that i kept switching between these three. There are a couple of solutions: 1. is to ask your neighbours to password-protect their wireless connection, so you PC wil automatically choose for the one that is not protected, 2. you can "remove & block" all other connections, so the only possible connection is the one you set up, 3. Most routers also have the possibility to filter MAC-adresses, this option is explained Here.

If you failed finding your solution, please say so.

Oh and:

Is there anything I can do about this? The router is about two years old and I would expect it to last longer than this or am I being optimistic?

No this does not seems likely, as its still working :thumbsup:

Edited by Stofzuiger, 09 May 2009 - 07:13 AM.

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

Well I know four of the seven cottages here have wireless access and, possibly, "extras" on line. eg my grandson has his own PC to use when he visits and he accesses the wireless network obviously.

I had a look at the link you gave . I tried the first recommendation:

Disable DHCP and Use Static IP Addresses To Protect Your Wireless Network

However all that happened was that a black DOS dialogue box appeared and disappeared immediately. Could not possibly read anything on it, so could not tackle suggestion 2.

The wireless connection that appears on my PC is encrypted. I cannot access it ; he should not be able to access mine.

My "private" connection speed is 54Mbps. The local connection is 100 Mbps. I am in a former black area and can only access the Web at a maximum of 256. Still better than nothing.

Thank you for your advice.

#4 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

The wireless connection that appears on my PC is encrypted. I cannot access it ; he should not be able to access mine.

When you take a look at the following icon on your PC:
Posted Image

You mean you cannot acces this whole menu? because you there should be able to block incoming connections, and with that said, you can block all incoming connections, except the one you've created.

You're able to do this using the following menu:
Posted Image

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

No, I get that. It's just my neighbour's wireless access and mone, both encrypted. This never used to happen. Now it seems to me it co-incides with the dropping of my wireless connection and the flashing of the ominous orange light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users