Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my PC sometimes noisy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hi, most of the time my PC (Win XP Home) runs virtually silently during surfing and game-playing etc, but with one or two other games and flight sims it whirrs slightly louder for the whole time the program is running AND after I exit the program, and the only way I can kill the noise is with a restart.
The extra noise doesn't bother me too much, but I can't help wondering what's causing it, and whether the innards are under some kind of stress which might cause extra wear and tear or overheating etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 piperm

piperm

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

My computer does the same thing. it's my fan, when i play games or do disc cleanup the fan gets REALLY loud I'm running windows xp Professional Version 2002 service pack 3 pentium 4, 3.40 Ghz 1.00 GB of RAM
Does anybody know how to get it to quiet down. I got it from a professor at Northern Arizona University. When i asked him about it he said it was probably a bad fan so he sent me a new one. No difference. then he said it might be the power source. so he sent me another power source and another fan. Still no difference. Does anyone else have an opinion???
And yes it did have a bunch of dust balls and stuff in it i cleaned it yesterday i had to scrape it off of the back and fan etc. My computer temp is 27 degrees i found that out when i downloaded the speedfan. but the speedfan couldn't find my fan. it only found my hardrive. i have a fan on my video card too and it didn't find that either or the power fan.

Edited by piperm, 09 May 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

It's possible that a buildup of dust/fluff in the fins of the CPU and/or video card coolers has reduced the cooling efficiency. If a demanding game runs the CPU and video hard, and the system heats up, a fan or fans will speed up. But if they can't get the temperature back down enough because of airflow restriction, the fans can stay at the higher speed, permanently or at least for a rather long time until the whole system gradually cools back down. A good cleanout may solve the problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

I have not played games in awhile but when I did I noticed the same thing even with a clean box, I installed a fan card and a HD tray with cooling fans. The did add a little noise overall but the louder noise never came back, your system will always runs better at cooler temps!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

Thanx guys, I never knew the fan speeded up when things got hot, that explains the noise. (I thought fans had just one speed, duh)..

#6 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

I have to clean mine regularly the noise get very annoying, we have a excellent tutorial on it here which you may find helpful. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users