Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I load game programs on an external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lucing1

lucing1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

My internal hard disk is only 38 GB. Right now it only has 4.4 GB of free space.

The Programs file takes up 15.5 GB. More than half of that consists of my kids' games (Sims, Rome, etc).

Can I move the games and non-essential programs to my external hard drive? Right now it has 68.4 GB of free space out of 250GB. If so, should I set up a special folder to load the games to? How can I make sure that the game will start up all right when my kids load the CD to play? (In other words, how can I prevent a scenario where the CD is loaded, the program isn't found so the CD prompts the kids to load the game again to the C drive?)

Should I partition the external hard drive?

I have already moved music, pictures and document files to the external hard drive.

I have been removing old/unused programs to clear up space on the C drive but for some reason the free space seems to disappear after a few days. As far as I can tell no new programs are added. Is there just a fluctuation in the free space from day to day?

I have checked for viruses and I've defragmented the disk as well.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

Yes you can move the program files to the external drive. You will need to uninstall them and then re-install them and change the default drive letter from C:\program files to whatever your External drive letter is. This way when your kids click on the icon the computer knows where the program is. Simply moving them or moving them and trying to explain or tell windows where you moved them is IMO difficult. Make sure the saved games are backed up or moved before uninstalling the game or you may have some very disappointed kids (just find the saved game files and move them to the my documents folder or something so they don't get deleted).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users