Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help, automatic restarting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 inmyworld

inmyworld

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

hey there, i recently got a used computer from my mothers workplace. i installed windows xp on it and it seems that within a feww minutes, it just keeps restarting itself. im very worried because i need this computer to work. please help. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Karnac

Karnac

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

Take a look inside and make sure you didn't dislodge the fan or heat sink when it was transported....check that your memory is seated ......most likely the power supply if all else checks out........here's a site that may assist

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Ar...elf_reboots.pdf

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

Try starting the computer in safe mode & see if the problem occures.
To start in safe mode turn it on & as soon as the logo, or post, screen diaappears start tapping F8
you should get a screen with stsrtup options
use the arrow key[s] to hilite Safe Mode & press enter
Finish starting in safe mode.

If the computer runs with no problem you have a driver or software issue.

If it restarts it is a hardware issue.
The 3 most common causes of a unit just restarting is the CPU overheating, video problem, memory problem.

A bad power supply can cause it also.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 inmyworld

inmyworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the help. from what i can tell, the problem is with my cable modem usb drivers. when i unplug the modem, the computer is fine, doesnt turn off. So i assume i need updated drivers, but i dont know how to go about getting those lol. anyways thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Drivers for cable modems connected via USB to the system...can generally be found at the website of the modem manufacturer.

I suggest uninstalling the current drivers...before attempting to install fresh, downloaded drivers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users