Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to forum and definitely infected by google redirect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nocluehow2

nocluehow2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hello,

I see that other people have had the same problem, but I don't know if I'm supposed to reply to their posts or if it's ok for me to start a new topic. Long story short I know nothing about computers. I can use Microsoft Office programs and do searches. That's about it. I've tried following what other people have done to correct this problem, but I see that people are posting logs in order to see if the problem has been fixed. Btw, I don't even know how to do that. I hope someone can help because I've some how managed to infect a computer that doesn't belong to me. I'm just borrowing it. Whenever I try to do a search I get redirected to sites that I didn't select and I usually end up at a cow survey site. I'm using Windows XP. I was using Firefox to do searches. I very recently updated the McAfee subscription so it should be able to detect malware and spyware, but it hasn't detected anything. I've also used Ad-Aware and tried some of the Microsoft scans available on their website. Someone recommended that I uninstall Firefox and delete it off the hard drive. I was able to uninstall Firefox, but I can't delete it off the hard drive. I get an error message that reads:
Cannot delete browser.jar: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again
However, I don't have any programs open. Nothing is running.
Thank you so much in advance!

nocluehow2

Edited by nocluehow2, 08 May 2009 - 09:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

Try downloading malwarebytes anti malware here: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...4-10804572.html

then, update malwarebytes by going to the update tab and then clicking the Check for updates button

Next, run a quick scan (usually takes 3-6 minutes)
Once the scan finishes post the log of the scan in your next reply and we will see what infection you have

To post the scan just copy the entire text it gives you and then paste it in here

#3 nocluehow2

nocluehow2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:53 AM

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I will try that as soon as I'm back online. The infected computer for some reason has somehow disconnected itself from the Internet and I can't for the life of me figure out why it won't reconnect. It's not detecting available networks and I'm sitting right next to it and am online right now. It's also running impossibly slow.

nocluehow2 :thumbsup:

#4 spete

spete

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

This sounds familiar.
I found this site while looking for a solution to a similar problem. I had the program rootkit revealer and ran that. There was a root kit virus on the pc. I couldn't use it to get out to the internet because it already was connecting to the internet for its own evil purposes. It wasn't my computer and someone had asked me to get it working one way or another.
When I saw it was a rootkit virus, I formatted the drive, repartitioned the drive and reinstalled windows xp. Now it is fine and they have it back and are grateful.
However, there are ways to get rid of a virus without such drastic measures.
I don't know enough to advise about the proper procedure but the people on this site do. The malware bytes is one way. Make sure you follow the process, including renaming the file and manually running the main file after renaming it.
Good luck

#5 nocluehow2

nocluehow2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

I appreciate the advice. I went to office depot to buy a flash drive to back up everything and the salesman told me he was working on 6 computers with the same problem. He said that he can fix it, but overall he recommended that I just reformat and reinstall. So, I think I'm just going to do that.
I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

nocluehow2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users