Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GLSmyth

GLSmyth

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

My mother had something appear on her screen that will not go away, even with reboot. I logged into her computer remotely and cannot see it, even with screen capture. I had her take a picture of it with her camera and she sent me the picture. It is located at http://GLSmyth.com/Oddity.jpg.

She uses AVG and Spybot.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any idea what it is? Any idea how to remove it?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers -

george

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

If you can't see it remotely, and rebooting doesn't change it. This leads me to belive this is something in the monitor settings. I would think there is a button or something on the monitor got pushed or accidentially bumped, to cause that image to appear. As to what it might be an indicator of, I have no clue. How about powering off the monitor and go as far as unplugging it to wipe any 'memory' setting?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 GLSmyth

GLSmyth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

Thanks, I'll ask her to give it a try.

Cheers -

george

#4 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Pic looks like its a Volume Mute indicator, have her check if the monitor has integrated speakers, and if so find the mute toggle on it.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

This leads me to belive this is something in the monitor settings.
As to what it might be an indicator of, I have no clue.

It is indicating that the sound has been muted.
Does her monitor have built-in speakers?
Google her monitor model number and find a user manual for
info on "unmuting".
Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 GLSmyth

GLSmyth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, good information. She has remote speakers, but I'll see if I can find the monitor's manual and go that direction.

Cheers -

george

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users