Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install SubinACL

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Irish Tom

Irish Tom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Hi Gang
First of all I am new to the forum and must say I am enjoying it.Some great stuff and support.

Now lets see if someone can help me.
About a month ago my Adobe Flash was wiped of my PC. I have System Mechanic and I believe on one of its sweeps, there was something wrong with my original Adobe Flash so it was taken off. I don't have any sign of the old Flash in my system.
When I try to download the newest version of Adobe Flash, it tells me it was downloaded successfully, but I cannot find it on my system
When I went in to the Adobe site they advised me to check Internet Explorer ActiveX settings and make sure that both "ActiveX controls and plugins" and also "download signed ActiveX controls" were both set to prompt which I did do. This did not work and in fact I have this annoying Internet Browser box popping up all the time asking if I want ActiveX to continue working.
The next advice Adobe then gave me was to download the SubinACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues. Also make sure I set up a restore point in "systems restore" before I started.
I know a little about PCs but want to throw this out to knowledgable members to see am I doing the correct thing.
Any help or advice would be very welcome
Regards
Tom :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

I've used that subinacl utility before...I fail to see what it will do for a botched Adobe Flash install. But...I don't claim to understand many instructions provided re computers :thumbsup:.

I would just:

Uninstall whatever is on your system now, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then, install the latest version of FP, http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15511.html

Louis

#3 Irish Tom

Irish Tom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hi Louis
Thank you for the advice.
Now that I know there are problems with Adobe, I will hold off with the SubinACL and try your links first.
I have set a System Restore so if I mess up I can hopefully revert back to yesterday.

Love the forum. Been reading some of the content. You guys (and Gals) are great people.
Will let you know how it went on Monday. I am away the weekend.
Have a great weekend all.
Tom :thumbsup:

#4 stupid2register

stupid2register

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

I've been going round and round with adobe since LAST JULY!!! Trying to get their "latest" flash to work. Installed, reinstalled, done all their little tricks over and over. Spent hours on this.

They want me to use that subinacl.exe BUT the MS site says it's for Professional edition, says nothing about XP Home, which is what I have. So there's no way I'm going to use it and take a chance. In fact, adobe has a dire warning on their site, that they are not responsible, blah, blah, blah.

Now what? YouTube is making changes and I will be SOL soon. Cannot make flash work in Firefox (latest). Get error message saying to "upgrade" to the "latest" which I already HAVE on the system. But FF doesn't recognize it somehow. I've spent untold hours on this already, perhaps cumulatively over three whole DAYS.

I need to be able to download from YT as well as watch. Have the FF extension installed, but that does not work if the video doesn't play!

Anybody have any help?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

You would be better served starting a new topic in the audio video section but the first question I have is have you uninstalled the old version of Flash using their uninstall tool? Forget SubinACL. It's a red herring.

#6 stupid2register

stupid2register

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

You would be better served starting a new topic in the audio video section but the first question I have is have you uninstalled the old version of Flash using their uninstall tool? Forget SubinACL. It's a red herring.

Thanks for the advice. Will do in other section. Yes, have uninstalled, reinstalled several times. Done everything they recommended, except for the subinacl. Every time I check to see what version I have, it says it's the latest. But it still won't play in FF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users