Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plz help my computer is lagging very strange

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Buga5

Buga5

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Helo everyone. :flowers:

Since i changed from Nvidia to ATI I have terrible lags in all games.The problem is that its not a tipical lag.The games run smooth on highest graphics settings(cod4,b2,left4dead,crysis...) but only for 15 minutes...after 15 minutes i get a very strong lag for 10 seconds and after every 20 seconds i get another 10 seconds lag.so lets say that after every 20 seconds it lags for 10 seconds and this is repeating...even if i play on lowest graphics this starts happening but a litlle bit later.I think its couse of overheating of the CPU or MB but im not sure.CPU 43c gets to 60c and MB 41c gets to 45c while the lagging starts.
Note that its not coused by RAM or harddisk couse everything is fine if i put back the older nvidia.And also the new graphics card is not cousing the problem couse i had the same problem 1 yr ago on another ATI card thats why i bought a new one..i tought the problem will be solved if i buy a newer ATI...
Plz help me I dont know what to do and if the problem is coused be overheating of the CPU or Motherboard plz tell me how to solve the confusion.
Thx in advance :thumbsup:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+ (2.31Ghz)
Sepphire ATI 4830 512mb
Motherboard M2N8-VMX
2,00 GB of Ram
WIN XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Before you installed the new card, did you completely uninstall and remove the drivers from the old nvidia card, restart your computer, install the latest drivers from the ati site, and then restart the computer again?

Also, how is the ventilation in your case? ATI cards generally run hotter than Nvidia cards. Make sure the case is cleaned out. The temperatures for your cpu, and the motherboard are good, but it's the graphics card you should be more worried about.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:15 AM

Thx you to be the first to answer me.
1.I unistalled the nvidia driver in -add or remove programs-
2.tuned of computer
3.insterted the Ati
4.started the comp and installed the latest ati driver
5.reinstalled dx9.c
It cant be the Ati fan problem couse its got a coller and a fan on itand its totaly new.
No matter which ATI card i put inside i still have the problem.

Still hopeless unable to play:(
This is my first call for help in computer matters
HELP HELP HELP

#4 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

no its not my first call :thumbsup:

#5 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:20 AM

Now i know its a overheating problem...I used a big fan to cool down my complete mother board..the graphics temp stays the same but the MB temp goes down when i turn on the big fan.The lag starts when the MB reaches 48 but with the big fan it cools down and the games dont lag anymore.
Now i need help from someone to tell me how to fix the overheating of my MB(M2N8-VMX)
Thx to everyone

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

While temp monitors show "motherboard" temp what you are actually seeing is the temp of the chipset.

If your motherboard is overheating you probably don't have enough air flow through your case.
If you don't have a rear exhaust fan you might want to install one.

If you have your computer in a location it has restriced air flow move it.

If you have it sitting on a carpeted floor get it off the carpet.
[ Many computer cases have the front air intake at the bottom edge of the case.
Put it on a carpet & it settles in & blocks the air intake]

This would be considered a little drastic by some but you could add a fan to the case side panel.
Do some careful measuring , cut a hole that lines up with the chipset heatsink, & mount a fan that blows in on the heatsink.

You could put a small fan on the chipset heatsink
[not as good but doesn't require case mods]

Purchase a aftermarket chipset cooler [heatsink/w fan]

[I looked at a pic of the motherboard & it appears to have 2 pins holding the heatsink on.
You should be able to find a chipset cooler that fits.
requires removing the motherboard to install it though.]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hmm, I've never heard of a motherboard overheating, but I'm sure it's possible. It's probably the Northbridge that is overheating. Make sure the Northbridge heatsink (the square black thing) is securely fastened and has proper ventilation. It is near your graphics card on that motherboard, so perhaps the hotter ATI cards are giving off more heat to it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thx for the help
I think the Northbridge heatsink could be te problem couse the Ati card is over it...
But how can i put a fan on the Northbridge heatsink if the Ati card is over it?
Is there a program with which i can test if the Northbridge heatsink is the problem?
much much thx

Attached Files

#9 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

I dont really know is the Northbridge heatsink overheating couse of the high temperature of the PCIe input or becouse the card is over it..
Does a PCIe cable exist? so maybe i can have my ati outside of the box:)

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

You'll have to leave your card connected to the motherboard.

How is the ventilation in your case? Can you give us the make and model of your case? If not, can you at least tell us how many fans there are, what size they are, where they're located, and which direction they're blowing.

#11 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

I have one fan on the processor..and of course the ati card has a fan on it.
I just tought that i can solve this problem without adding a new fan maybe change some settings or something.
Look at the picture to see how my motherboard looks like.
Its ok i will figure something out thx for the help it helped me alot at least i know now what is wrong. :thumbsup:

Attached Files

#12 Buga5

Buga5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

Ok i opened now both sides of the computer so the air can flow trough.Now the temp of the MB stays on 45c insted on 50c.
Wow 5c difference
Thx again to everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users