Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader - cannot launch, application configuration error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adaml

adaml

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hello,

Some History: I ran Secunia Online Software Inspector as part of another Topic related to clearing up some malware. I got a message that i needed to update Adobe Reader 7.X. When i hit the link, it gave me a Windows Installer error message: The upgrade patch cannot be installed because the program to be updated may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch. I verified that Adobe Reader 7.X was in my program files. Tried to delete it there and also in Add/Change progams, but got an error message...Error 1327. Invalid drive: h:\. I was refered to another topic that discussed remapping registry/drive assignments, and I found that there were a few items that were mapped to drive H which i changed to drive C. This resolved my issue and i was able to download and update Adobe Reader 9.1, the latest version.

However, when i tried to use Adobe Reader 9.1, I get the following error message:

" This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem "

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling v9.1 and also reinstalling v.8. I continue to get the same error message. I'm not sure if I created a problem when I redirected the drive mapping as mentioned above.

I've also noticed a lot of Error lines in my Event Viewer / Systems.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

I'd say ditch Adobe altogether and try Foxit Reader
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
Much better and less bloated
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 adaml

adaml
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

Thank you. I actually loaded foxit yesterday... I'm still curious to know what the cause of my problem with Adobe Reader is...it was working before i went through the malware removal process, so i'm wondering if i did something to trigger the problem at the time of malware removal...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Malware can set its hooks just about anywhere
A file probably was removed or corrupted during the process
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 adaml

adaml
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

So, are you saying that i probably won't be able to find & restore that file....therefore, should just give up on ever using Adobe Reader again (as all versions i've tried have the same problem)...and, if this is the case, shouldn't i remove adobe reader from my computer?

Thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

It would be best to uninstall /reinstall to try and fix the problem instead of trying to replace a single file
I just say, Why bother. If you're going to uninstall it, put on something better
Mark
Posted Image

#7 adaml

adaml
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times and i still have the problem. Not sure if you consier Foxit reader as something better...

I also noticed a lot of Errors in my Systems folder in Event Viewer. When i looked at the details, noted Adobe was included in every 3 error occurances: Generate Activation Context Failed for C: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\PDFShell.dll...I did not even try to open Adobe, so not sure why i would get this error...Know anything about this?

Thanks.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I did not even try to open Adobe, so not sure why i would get this error...Know anything about this?

I believe pdfshell32.dll is hooked with an acrobat startup file. If you look in msconfig and there is one or more acrobat listings ticked, that's probably why.
Acrobat is very sloppy when it comes to removal and re-install. Many dll's and reg entries are left behind in the removal process. To see if the error listed in event viewer is related to the error opening acrobat reader, first check that "pdfshell32.dll" actualy exists in the path given. If it's there, unregister then re-registering it will correct an incorrect registry path.
If you get an error when unregistering it, then just try to reregister it as the path was incorrect to start with.
Afterwards, launch acrobat again and see what happens. I would not be surprised if there is more then one incorrectly registered dll. If it still gives you a problem, do the same for the other dll's in the acrobat\activex folder.

#9 adaml

adaml
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

HitSquad, thanks....

I did find the dll file in the path given...Not sure what you mean by "unregistering" and reregistering the file. Please elaborate on how to do this. thx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users