Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to clone new disk and make it bootable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1timcarter

1timcarter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Haven't been here for quite awhile but couldn't think of a better place to get the best answers.

I'm running xp professional and my HD is about full. I have a new hard drive, installed it as a second drive, and I did a disk to disk copy. I think I got everything copied inculding the boot sector. Before I go on maybe someone to tell me how to make sure I got the boot sector..... I used XML to do the copy. Both drives have 2 partitions with the first one being NTFS and the second one FAT. Both of them have the first partition marked as "active". When I took the main drive out and changed the jumper on the second drive to indicate it was the only drive, it would not boot.

Some of the things I have thought about are:

1. Did I not really get the boot sector?
2. Does the first partition need to marked something more than "active"?
3. Does XP prevent you from using a "copy" of the OS?
4. Do I need to change something in the BIOS?

If I leave both drives in, could I try rebooting and set the boot disk to the second drive to determine if it will work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

If you did a disk to disk copy, all files should be there bit for bit.
Try flopping the drive cables so the new drive is plugged in the C drive on the MOBO and Let er rip.
I have cloned several drives via Acronis and had great success.

Edited by rosiesdad, 08 May 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Do the instructions for using XML...indicate that the boot sector is copied?

Actual substitution of the 2d drive for the current boot drive...should provide your answers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users