Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD / CD Drive will read DVDs but not cds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 burrowstim

burrowstim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have a Lite-ON SOHW-1653S DVD/CD writer and am having problems reading and writing cds.

I booted up the computer a few days ago with a cd in this drive. The boot-up process stopped until I took the disc out (it was an audio cd). Since then I've not been able to use this drive to read or write cds. DVDs work fine though.

I've tried using the other DVD drive on the computer with cds and it works fine.

I've also tried using a cd from a magazine that starts up automatically once inserted - this does nothing in my Lite-On drive.

I'd rather not have to replace the drive or the computer - does anyone have any ideas how I might fix this.

Thanks.

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

You'll need to get into device manager.

In Windows Vista, just type "device manager" into the search box to bring it up.

In Windows XP, go to start, control panel, system, hardware tab, and click device manager. Once there, go under DVD/CD drives section, and right click on the bad drive. From the list that comes up, click uninstall. Uninstall the drive, then restart your computer. Windows should automatically reinstall the drivers for it.

If this doesn't fix it, and you have another working drive in the computer, I think the drive is probably bad.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users