Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building vs. Buying

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heyhowyadoin

heyhowyadoin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hello,

I am about ready for a new computer and was wondering if it would make more sense for me to build or buy. I play occasional games, but nothing hardcore. Listen to lots of music, so I will need a decent amount of storage and usually spend most of my time browsing the internet.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

If you feel comfortable in doing so, building would be better in my opinion.

First off, you know what you're getting. Sometimes manufacturers like Dell use generic motherboards, power supplies, ram, cases, etc.

Second off, you have a wider variety of choices such as cases that light up, and have side panels, and multiple fans.

Third off, if you're going to be building a computer that cost more than $400-$500, you'll be saving money. A lot of times, companies charge extra for gaming and performance computers, when you can build a similar, if not better system for up to hundreds less! If you want something in that lower price range, you can still build your own, but you probably won't see a big price difference. However, like i said, you'll generally get higher quality parts for the same price as their generics.

However, finding the right parts, and building the computer itself takes some time, but usually only a few hours. Just do some searching on the internet, or we'll gladly help you out too with anything you're confused with! Some people think building their own computer may not be worth it, but myself and others actually find it pretty fun, or why else would we be here on this forum :thumbsup: ?

If you let us know the games you want to be playing, and your price range, let us know. Also, tell us if the price includes a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc., or if you already have that stuff.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

If you want a computer that is dependable & will loast building is the way to go.

Depending on what kind of computer you have you may be able to save some money by reusing some of what you already have.
[I'm thinking case]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:13 AM

Another possibility: Talk to techs at REPUTABLE computer shops about a custom build.
Figure out what your basic requirements are: hard drive size, memory, sound/graphic cards or on-board sound/graphics, power supply. Tell them all of that, ask what it would cost for the tech to build you one.
This could be an option if you want something better than an off-the-shelf model or don't want to build your own.
Most shops have a standard build-write down what it includes and work from that.
If you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers the cost will be less since you won't have to purchase them.
Ask what the warranty period is, and what is included in the warranty.

#5 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

I agree with Queen-evie. That way you could possibly save money and get a computer that suits you more.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

I guess I will take a contrary view. If you need a system for non demanding apps then the best deals are usually from the Dells/Gateways/HPs of the world.

It is nice to build your own system but you can't touch the big OEMs for price on their hardware (Alienware excepted). Sometimes you run into killer deals on OEM systems. I would have no problem shopping around for a medium spec machine and then adding a hard drive and a $100 videocard. A 1 terabyte HD, and an ATI 4770 for <$200 added to an OEM is not a bad way to go. Make sure the OEM is upgradable with the proper expansion slots etc. Only real sticky point is power supplies.

Don't get me wrong, building your own system is a happy thing. It is especially true if you need a system for specific tasks like video editing or hardcore gaming etc. Sometimes you walk into deals from OEMs where their systems are priced lower than your parts costs, plus you get an OS thrown in.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

I would be supporting the suggestion to build your own system. As Sterling said, in building you could be sure that you are getting the the "right stuff". I have nothing against prebuilt computers but if your not that careful, you might come across recycled parts which is normally used by some shops to make their price lower than their competitors. (I should know, I'm a business student. :thumbsup:)

Another thing, building your own computer would make you more familiar with the system you are using. In case you would have problems in the future it would be easier to trace your system and if needed, it would also be easier to ask questions on forums.

Though, one thing that you should take into consideration is the compatibility of parts.

P.S.
Building your computer would also cost less because you would eliminate other costs and expenses incurred by computer manufacturers
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#8 Larnek

Larnek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

This is definitely a depends on what you want most type thing. If you're plan playing lots of highend bleeding edge games and would like to continue for some time without updating or you use graphic design programs, modeling, rendering etc then building your own really can make sense from the monetary standpoint. If you are just a casual user, likes to play games but don't need it maxed out on every setting for the newest highend games then really rigs from Dell and such can save you the money. Throw in a midrange video card to one of their midrange $600 systems and you have a good rig to play games on, do internet, play music and everything else you want. And you can usually start learning about upgrading with Dell systems as they aren't product specific for the most part like Compaq and such occasionally is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users