Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI ports and USB Dead

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hi,
A house next door to us got struck by lightning. And ever since then my ethernet port hasnt worked.... I have a Dell Slimline PC with Vista Basic Home. So I went a bought a PCI Ethernet Card cause everything else works fine. Installed the card which i had to take the little metal thing off of the card to get it to fit and no lights come on, then I installed the card in another PC and the card is good. Decided to buy a USB to Ethernet Adapter installed it with the correct drivers and still nothing... In device manager my ethernet and USB to ethernet card says that both are working properly... I just have run out of ideas... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

i had to take the little metal thing off of the card to get it to fit

Could you elaborate a little more on this?? What exactly did you remove?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

The bracket that you screw down into the case... Kindof helps keep the card in place... Since the PC is a Low Profile PC there was no other way of getting a PCI card regular sized in there.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

It sounds like you may have got some electrical feed through the network cable that damaged the southbridge chipset on the motherboard.
If that is the case the only fix is a new motherboard.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hmm thats not good... :thumbsup: Does anyone else have any other ideas?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

If the onboard LAN doesn't work, The PCI slots don't work so you can't use a LAN card, the USB doesn't woek so you can't use a acapter , then you basically have a typewriter that will play offline games. :flowers:

If the southbridge chipset , which controlls the PCI slots & USB ports, is damaged there is no fixing it.

If the house next door got hit by lightning it probably fed through the lines to your house.

Now, There IS one other possibility. :thumbsup:

If that is the only computer that works [is hooked to] your cable modem there is the possibility the modem is bad.
If you have other computers working through a router hooked to the modem then the modem is good & the computer is bad.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

What about the Power Supply? Could it be possible that a part of that was damaged and therefor it isnt getting enough power to the PCI and USB ports? Keep in mind that my keyboard and USB mouse work fine which doesnt really make sence unless there isnt enough power getting supplied to the USB ports to power the adapter.... Hmm :thumbsup:

Edited by Armed101, 09 May 2009 - 01:30 PM.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

OK, Let's backup a minute.

You said the USB ports don't work.
Now the USB KB & mouse work.

Alright, we'll take it from the top.

Go to the Device Manager
Locate Network Adapters & expand the listing
Right click on each that is listed & on the menu click Uninstall
Once you are finished restart the unit & let the Network adapter reinstall
Hook the cable to it & try it.

#9 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Uninstalled and then let it reinstall and still nothing...

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

Well, I have 2 more suggestions before I go back to replace the motherboard.

Do a system restore back to a date before the problem started.

If that doesn't work,

I assume you are posting from another computer hooked to the modem you are hooking the problem computer to in order to go online.
If you are not there is a possibility that the modem is bad & the computer is OK.

#11 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

Yea just did a system restore back to before the storm and it still doesnt do anything... Grrr!!! My bud who has a laptop brought it over and he can get on the internet just fine, so i know it isnt the modem... Sounds like its time for another motherboard :thumbsup: Do you have any recomendations on a place to buy dell motherboards? My pc is only about a year old so im sure i could find one somewhere... Thank you again for all of your help! :flowers: I really appreciate it!

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

There are a few places to get a motherboard.

I suggest you use the service tag code off of the unit on the Dell site to see if you can determine the exact model of the motherboard so you can try to find an exact replacement.
It would save you some potential problems.

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

One last suggestion.
Since the motherboard isn't working right anyhow go to the Dell site, get the newest BIOS update for it & see if you can flash [update] the BIOS.
If it gets messed up worse you really haven't lost anything & you MIGHT get lucky & fix it with a fresh BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users