Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound works only in winamp...????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yessir

yessir

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

I turned on my machine today and the sound didn't work. The usual IM sounds were gone and any sounds from the browser, like youtube videos and stuff are no longer working. So I tried playing a song in winamp and it gave me an error about something like "a device...." (forgot the whole thing). I googled around and got a fix. I went to Preferences in Winamp, Plug-Ins > Output, and there I selected "DirectSound output v2.46 [out_ds.dll]"

Winamp started working but everything else still doesn't make sounds. When I went to control panel to check sound settings, it told me that MMDRIVER.INF was missing so I googled around for it's code, and made my own which I put in the System32 folder. Then the Sound settings in the Control Panel no longer gave me the mmdriver.inf missing error. The settings show my AC97 card and everything, and "Place a volume icon in TaskBar" is also checked, though the icon is now missing.

I went into device manager and saw no errors there.

What to do?

WinXP Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yessir

yessir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Any help?