Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So, I'm finally getting my A+ Cert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

This summer, I'm finally going to get my A+ cert. I already work as an IT support / Webmaster, but I don't make very much money. I know the A+ isn't looked upon as very prestigious anymore, but what would you guys recommend I ask for per hour? I'm still in college, and I only make 8.50/hr. It sucks, but its a job in these hard times. Once I'm A+, I was told that I can ask for up to 16/hr. But that was by my college adviser, and they are always way too optimistic. If you have your A+ cert, what did you ask for, or when you got a job, what did you ask for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

Check here: http://www.payscale.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

My dads been working IT for years, and he makes good money, but it took him years to get there. I would talk with your employer and ask him what he would do raise wise, but it may just boil down to working your way up. it also depends on the local economy. when I lived in a smaller town in nebraska, 8.50 an hour was good no matter what job you had. There were guys at a computer store nearby who were A+ certified with a 4 year college degree who only made 12 an hour. Sad but true. In the town Im in now, I make 17.50 an hour driving truck-no college experience required, but the cost of living is higher and the economy is better. It may just boil down to you working your way up the ladder, once your boss sees you can do the job well, and you got a few years experience under your belt, the easier its going to be to get a higher paying job. That goes for any line of work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

Just wanted to say congrats on getting IT :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

Congrats! All additional education is an increase to your value as an employee.

Depending upon where one lives, the market often controls what one can earn/demand.

Talk with your employer/boss and negotiate? You need to be aware of what others in similar jobs there earn?

I have been under contract and paid well over $150 an hour when deployed.
I ran my own business and paid myself and most others working for me at $10 an hour.
Of course, I made a lot of money when I sold the business off. I shared some with those employees as a bonus.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

In my experience, I have found the easiest way to get a raise is to get a new job or to give your notice that you are leaving for another job that pays more. If they like you where you are you will get a raise to keep you and if they can't or won't give you more money your new job is waiting.

Its important to pursue your education and certificates to advance your career.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

I appreciate the replies, and praise. It feels great to finally get this cert. I'll take the advice you guys gave me, and see what happens. But with the economy in a rut, it may be kind of hard. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users