Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JungleMan007

JungleMan007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

I have two DVD drives. Both are burner and DL. One is internal Optiarc AD-7203S and the other is an external HP 840e. I have the most updated drivers I could find and I have tried to uninstall and reinstall them. Both read software discs fine and I can even burn discs with them. I have had a lot of trouble burning DL discs but I'm not concerned about that right now. The problem is neither drive is reading DVD movies. I put them in and the drive makes sounds like it is trying to read the disc but then it ultimately stops and if I click on the drive...it opens and tells to me to please insert a disc. This seems weird to me that I can use the drive for others things but not DVD movies. At first I thought maybe it was because the disc was too scratched or something. However, even new dvds with no marks cause the same result. Any ideas what this could be about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

You may need to set the specific region (country) you're in. To do this, go to my computer, right click on the dvd drive, click properties, click hardware tab, click on the dvd drive, click properties, click DVD Region, and then select your country from the list, or the country the DVD's were made in.

If these are burnt DVD's, then I don't think you can legally burn copyrighted movies, but if there non-copyrighted videos, then it's legal.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 JungleMan007

JungleMan007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

Changing the region does not work. I still cannot watch movies on my computer. It just will not recognize DVD movies. CDs and DVD software or games it does. It really doesn't make any sense to me.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

Are these burnt DVDs, retail DVDs, or a mix of both? Have you tried turning the computer off, unplugging the external hard drive, and trying a DVD on the internal drive.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users