Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random links while browsing on firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 jaf72

jaf72

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Ok, this is really getting annoying now!
I'm currently in the process of repairing my computer after a massive virus attack. Whenever I'm on a website on firefox, I'll click on a link (e.g. to another video on YouTube or to a friend's profile on Facebook) and for some reason, rather than loading the page I want, another tab opens up and a completely different website loads up. The website it loads up seems to change depanding on what I click on. Sometimes it's a random video site, sometimes it's a random search engine, and once I got linked to a page trying to download an ActiveX update. This might be a virus messing with my browser but I'm not sure. I'm scanning my computer with Malwarebytes at the moment. I'll post the log once it's finished. I'd be grateful for any ideas as to what's going on. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

malwarebytes will likely take care of this....
Posted Image

#3 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

It seems to have been cleared now
:thumbsup:

Here's the log just in case:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2082
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/8/2009 18:23:28
mbam-log-2009-05-08 (18-23-28).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|F:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 209980
Time elapsed: 53 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\msb.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\protect.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autochk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\protect.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8D3693DD-0A48-443F-8526-C7B23A19F4A0}\RP835\A0134939.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.lnk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\nsrbgxod.bak (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

#4 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

DAMMIT. I seem to have spoken too soon. It's still doing it. What should I do now?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Reboot your computer

Update mbam and run a FULL scan
Please post the results
We will need to do a few different scans
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

(In response to the reply on my Automatic Updates topic)

Oh right. Sorry, the reason I've started four different topics is because I thought I was dealing with four different problems. Now I know that they're all linked it will hopefully be easier to sort it all out.

:thumbsup: Sorry for being a pain.

I'm running an mbam scan now, I'll post the log when it's finished.

Edited by jaf72, 08 May 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#7 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

Ok, the scan's finished. Here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2095
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/8/2009 20:49:25
mbam-log-2009-05-08 (20-49-25).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|F:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 210750
Time elapsed: 51 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 10

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8D3693DD-0A48-443F-8526-C7B23A19F4A0}\RP836\A0134942.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autochk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\protect.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\protect.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.lnk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lmn_setup.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

What you have is very stubborn and extremely hard to remove

Two options left-Post a HJT log or re-install

If you want to give removal of the infection a try, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

====================================

Option 2
Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

In case you need help with this, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr) or autorun (.ini) files because they may be infected by malwareware appending itself to the executable. Some types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you look closely at the full file name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it.

If you need additional assistance with reformatting, you can start a new topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

to remove msb.dll and nrsbgxod, download unlocker from http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

Then, once you run a malwarebytes scan and have removed all malware besides those two files, use unlocker and delete the nrsgbxod file. Once that is deleted, delete msb.dll with unlocker. In order to delete it, unlocker may have to end some processes before it goes. Once you know for sure it is deleted, then reboot your computer and hopefuly it will be gone.
If you don't understand any of it or have another problem while doing it just reply and i will try to help you with it

#10 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:37 AM

What you have is very stubborn and extremely hard to remove

Two options left-Post a HJT log or re-install

If you want to give removal of the infection a try, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

====================================

Option 2
Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

In case you need help with this, please review:

These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr) or autorun (.ini) files because they may be infected by malwareware appending itself to the executable. Some types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you look closely at the full file name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it.

If you need additional assistance with reformatting, you can start a new topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum.

I've gone for Option 1, and started a topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware removal forum. Thank you for all your help so far.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Good luck and please be patient

This topic is closed
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users