Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB mass storage drives are not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Inventor

Inventor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I recently bought a fairly high spec refurbished computer from a school clearance sale and I am now wanting to use it to be the basis of a simple media center. The problem I am facing Is that it wont recognize my mass storage devices (memory sticks and an external HD) through the USB ports. It Knows they are there because it will show me the names but it wont install them automatically and brings up the 'Install New Hardware Wizard' I've tried using this but it will reach the end of the installation and then say Invalid data. I have checked with the drivers on my laptop and there are the same ones on the new PC.
I am aware that some schools deliberately block USB storage devices for a variety of reasons so I googled my problem. It came back telling me that to disable/Enable USB ms devices there is a simple registry tweak, to change the DWord "start" value to 4-disable or 3-enable which is located at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR,
However, when I checked in RegEdit there was no USBSTOR directory at all. I have many questions,
Does this directory exist as a default or is it something that is added for this tweak?
Is there another way of disabling the USB for hardware other than mouse and keyboard? If so how can it be reversed?
Thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

I just checked 2 of mine.
USBSEOR is there
Go to the Device Manager & see if the USB is listed & enabled.
If it is expand the listing, right click each [in turn] & uninstall them
Restart the unit to let them reinstall
when done try them.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Inventor

Inventor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Should I get rid of all of them? surely that will then get rid of the usb ports.

I mean all of the USB Icons in the expandable USB directory in the device manager. I'm worried that will uninstall the USB related hardware inside the computer.

Edited by Inventor, 08 May 2009 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users