Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

First of all, I need to calm down. I installed the RC last night and all I can say is "wow!" I'm exited to have the opportunity to try this OS for a year and free at that:) If things go as well as they did last night I will definitely be buying the upgrade when its released.

Hardware Specs:

C2D 4600
ASUS P5L-MX LGA 775
2gigs DDR2 667
Maxtor 250gig
20x DVDRW
8500GS 256mb PCI-E
Antec Solution Mid Tower Case with Antec True Power 380watt PSU
Onboard Audio and Nic.

I decided to go with the 32bit version for now because I didn't want to hassle with driver issues. I read a few articles that said you'd definitely have compatibility problems using w7 with your hardware if you experienced those problems with Vista. I did have those problems with Vista (actually went back to XP) and decided not to chance it.

My current install has a ton of software and 4 virtual machines installed that I use for school so reformatting the entire disk as well as depending completely on a beta OS was not an option. I partitioned the hard disk in order to do a dual boot install alongside XP. The final configuration was:

C: XP - 60gigs
D: w7 - 60gigs
F: Data - 70gigs

After I partitioned the hard disk, I downloaded the w7 iso, burned it to a dvd, and rebooted the system with the dvd in the drive. The install wizard came up almost immediately. I inputted the requested information, chose the D: partition as the install location, and clicked next. The install completed automatically from that point. I forgot to time the install but its definitely faster than the last time I installed XP.

When install was complete, the system booted and I now had an option to choose Windows 7 (default) or XP (earlier operating system). I was pleasantly surprised to see that w7 had located and installed all my drivers (including my pvrR150) with the exception of my onboard audio. I remedied that by downloading and installing the vista driver from the Asus support website. Audio worked great after that.

Next, it was time to install some software. Moments after logging in, the system was already demanding that I install an antivirus:) I went with Avast AV since I've used it for years and its saved me a few times in the past. Then I installed Office 2007, Nero, Winrar, Adobe Reader, Comodo Firewall, Ccleaner and my favorite MMO, Lotro:) Not all the software I use but enough to get me going. All installs worked perfectly (windows vista versions) with the exception of my MMO. Turns out that it isn't compatible with w7's framework so I had to install framework 1.1.4 in addition to the default in order for the game to run. It worked great afterwards.

Afterwards, the system downloaded its first windows updates which included security updates for office 07 and driver updates for the video card and the onboard nic.

I didnít get to it yet but I will also be installing Acronis True Image. I want to make some drive images with the clean install in case the beta decides to act likeÖwell, act like a beta:)

Overall, I would say the installation was fairly simple and mostly trouble free. I will post some screenshots later today and I look forward to reading about other's experience with windows 7:)

Thanks for reading - Helio
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

This is a great piece that youíve written here. Iím really glad youíre having a positive RC experience. Do you think the installation was easier/harder/similar to your Vista experience?

Again, thanks for writing this.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

This is a great piece that youíve written here. Iím really glad youíre having a positive RC experience. Do you think the installation was easier/harder/similar to your Vista experience?

Again, thanks for writing this.
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

Do you think the installation was easier/harder/similar to your Vista experience?

I will say that the window 7 installation was simpler overall but there's more to it than that in my opinion. I really didn't have that much of a problem with Vista. The installation was simple and I considered the OS an improvement over XP. The main issue lay with driver and program incompatibility. If anything, I would say that the experience would have been similar where it not for those reasons. The interesting thing is that hardware which had issues in Vista is now working fine in windows 7. Its possible that I jumped on the vista bandwagon at a time when adequate Vista drivers for my hardware didn't yet exist.

Looking past the issues I just mentioned, I can definitely say that w7 seems quite a bit faster than Vista on similar hardware. The boot up and shutdown times have improved and response time when switching from one task to another is amazing. It seems that windows 7 is simply using my hardware more efficiently. That's very important when you consider that not everyone has the latest quad core rig with 6gigs of ram:)

Edited by Helio, 08 May 2009 - 03:46 PM.

Resistance is futile.

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

That sounds great. Hope things continue to work well for you.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users