Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

regedit/cmd won't run, redirects, application won't run

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dongna

dongna

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Been having some strange happenings all this week.

Running Windows XP Pro.

It started when I went to launch a software development tool (Delphi 2009). I had been using this Monday evening, and on Tuesday mid-morning I went to start it again and it displayed its splash screen for a second or two and then shut down. It doesn't appear to hang up-- a process appears in Task Manager briefly and then disappears-- it just seems to crash.

About the same time I experienced 2 or 3 Google redirects. They have since stopped, however. [EDIT- Correction, I just now experienced another redirect]

In trying to fix the Delphi 2009 not running problem, it was suggested that I run Regedit. When I attempted to do so, the desktop momentarily disappeared, then re-appeared, with Regedit not running. I also tried running cmd with the same result.

It was about then that I started to suspect virus or malware.

I have installed and run regularly AVG anti-virus and Spybot S & D. Both of those run clean.

On reading on another web site (and based on a past experience) I also installed and ran Malwarebytes. This did detect one malicious object, which it deleted. No change in any of my problems, though.

That brings me to here.

I read this thread on this forum which seems to describe exactly the symptoms I'm having, but I didn't want to follow the advice in that thread because it was suggested to not do anything other than exactly what was being suggested.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Edited by dongna, 08 May 2009 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Supertramp73

Supertramp73

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Having the same trouble:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225849/avg-and-avira-wont-update-anymore-also-problem-with-cmd-and-regedit/

#3 dongna

dongna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

My AVG is also not updating. I had assumed it was a problem with their update server, but not anymore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users