Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network disconnects after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Motanu Danila

Motanu Danila

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

If I had any hair, I'd have pulled it all out in the last two weeks. I have a wireless network problem that I just cannot figure out, even after trawling through hundreds of web pages with information on this.

The basic problem:
- the wireless network I set up drops the connection after about 7-8 seconds. I click "repair", it reconnects, then drops it again, and so on.
- I use a wired connection to the internet.

The software:
- XP SP3 - on a new desktop machine; I just can't stand Vista. If other software is relevant, I will provide details.

The hardware:
- ADLS router Philips sna6500
- abit AirPace Wi-Fi wireless network adapter

The details:
- I configured the router to use WPA-TKIP; I use a preshared key passphrase (about 30 characters).
- I think the problem resides here:
- When I go to Network connections - wireless network connection - wireless network - Philips (automatic) - properties - association, the "Network authentication" keys constantly revert to WPA-PSK, which is not enabled on my router.
- Every time I change the details to WPA, the box "This key is provided automatically for me" is always checked and greyed-out. I cannot uncheck it.
- If I somehow managed to un-grey the box (under WPA-PSK), I insert my WPA passphrase, but when I try to revert to WPA, the box is greyed out again.
- I click "ok", and they return to the properties, they show again WPA-PSK, and a 8-character network key; the box "this key..." is again checked and greyed-out.

I may have messed up some things upon first connecting the router to the new machine - e.g. I had to key in manualyy the network adress for the wireless card - but I don't know if this is relevant. If anyone has had some experience with this, and can offer advice, I will provide any other information deemed relevant; don't want to bother you with irrelevant fluff now.

Thank you for your help.
MD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users