Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having some problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dkeys23

dkeys23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

Hello,

I am new to this site and have some problems with my computer (Windows XP). In the last 6 months, my computer is running extremely slow. Everyday, there are more and more programs running in the background. When I go in and turn them off, it runs faster. I try to go to msconfig and turn them off permanently, but it says I don't have admin rights even though my acct says it does. Also, I have to run several security programs (not all actively running at same time). I have MaCafee, Xoft, Regcure, Malwarebytes. Do I need all these? Everytime I run Xoft and Regcure it finds over a hundred items, are these real issues?

2 days ago, I got a screen that said it was dumping physical memory. I shut the computer down. I bought an external drive to back my hard drive up. Now everytime the computer starts, it goes into CHKDSK with a lot of errors in different files. There are also new folders in my c: drive that were created at last start up that seem to have random names like 8f5645dsfs564dfs6d54sd (not exactly the name but lots of numbers and letters). Also one called BJ.

I need help with the following questions:

1. Why can't I turn off programs in ms.config if I am set up as an adminstrator?
2. Do I need to run these different security programs, or are they finding false issues?
3. Why am I getting random folders created?
4. Why is CHKDSK running at start up?
5. Is this a sign of a failing hard drive?

Thanks in advance,

Daryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users