Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JagX22

JagX22

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

Hi All,

I am trying to add a computer to my network here at work. There are about 3 other computers hooked up to a wired network, and they all share programs (ACT/Peachtree) that need access to databases. The computer is hooked up through a workgroup swith, and that is connected to a router. The other computers in the network are also connected through a workgroup switch, but not the same one. I tried going under the computer properties and changing the name of the workgroup, to the same name being used by the rest of the computers, but I still haven't had any luck. Is there something I am doing wrong, or is there a way I can fix this issue?

Thank You!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

have you verified that the pc has the correct ip settings.......do you know if the switch it is connected to is any good (you mentioned the others were on a separate switch).....what about physical connectivity, any lights blinking on both pc and switch (could be bad cable).....if you have physical connectivity try pinging the other computers by ip address (could be a dns issue).....this should get you started
Posted Image

#3 JagX22

JagX22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

I tried everything except pinging to another computer. I am not exactly sure how to send a ping to the others. I think it is because it is through a separate workgroup switch from the rest of the computers. I was able to connect to the workgroup on my laptop which is through the wireless end of the network. The rest of the computers on the network are wired. However, this one computer is the only one on the separate switch, so I figured since it is in a separate switch, that must be why it can't access the network. Unfortunately, we don't have a large enough switch to fit this computer in with the others. If that sounds like the proper reasoning to you, let me know. Unless there is another way to get it in with the others, I have pretty much given up on it. I appreciate all of your help!

-John

#4 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

In Windows, select Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt......then type "ping" followed by the ip address of another pc on the network.....

ping 192.168.1.1 (example)

if you see a reply then they are physically connected......
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users