Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please analyze log - PC is slow, Windows Apps look weird

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 gravelkm

gravelkm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hello,

I have been noticing performance issues on my PC running Windows XP SP3 at work, and for the past month, my Windows desktop icons' text are no longer transparent. I've tried all of the recommended methods online to get the transparency back, but nothing has worked.

Also, for some Windows Apps (e.g., Outlook, Visual Studio 2005/2008), the display does not look right. You'll notice in the attached image what I'm talking about. My start page for VS2008 has a bunch of gray, which is obviously not right.

I have attached my HijackThis log and screenshots of how VS2008 and Outlook look. In the Outlook screenshot, notice the red arrow which is pointing to "dotted" outlines of menu items. That is not right.

I have also attached my D.D.S "Attach.zip" and "DDS.txt" files

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kevin Gravelle

Attached Files

Edited by gravelkm, 08 May 2009 - 07:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. You can find information on A/V control HERE

Orange Blossom :thumbup2:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 gravelkm

gravelkm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

This problem still exists.

Attached is an updated D.D.S. log as of 6/1/09.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Attached Files

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hello, gravelkm :thumbup2:
I suspect most of your problems aren't malare related -- malware doesn't often do stuff like this, More likely, your issue is caused by running on an nLitened operating system. If this is the case, then there's little I'll be able to do to help.

We need to repair some of windows' internal registration settings
  • Please download Dial-A-Fix from one of the following mirrors:
  • Extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 gravelkm

gravelkm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Billy,

Thanks for your reply. I will try your suggestions once I return to work. I have a sick family at home I have to deal with! :thumbup2:

Thanks again,
Kevin

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

No problem :thumbup2:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 gravelkm

gravelkm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

Billy,

I ran the Dial-A-Fix application and it didn't help :thumbup2:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:02 AM

Hello, gravelkm :step4:
Unfortunately no :thumbup2:

You could try asking here -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

I'm sorry :)

Billy3
Posted Image

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hello, gravelkm :thumbup2:
Since this issue appears resolved, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me or another moderator a PM.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users