Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virtual memory issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

I have Windows XP and in the last month or so, maybe 2-3 months, I've gotten a windows message that says my virtual memory is very low and that windows is working to repair (or whatever it says there) and that some applications may not have all the information loaded (or something like that). The message appears, oh maybe every other day? I've done a search in the help and support area of my computer but I can't figure out how to solve this.

any help would be greatly appreciated. hopefully this is enough information, if not, ask away please.

thanks!

Edited by tobyo, 08 May 2009 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

Right click "My Computer select properties, then "Advanced then in performance settings, then performance then again advanced then click change. Post the what the setting are and also the amount of installed ram on your system. It depending on your settings an ram can be adjusted for better performance, you may need to add ram to the system hard to tell until your next post. I went for quite some time with 1 Gig of ram but as I added stuff I had to add another Gig, not only did that do away with the virtual memory problem but inreased system greatly.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 08 May 2009 - 08:00 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for your help Phil. here is what those settings are

Initial size: 756 MB
Maximum size: 1512 MB

Minimum allowed: 2 MB
Recommended: 751 MB
Currently allocated: 756 MB

Installed RAM: 512 MB

if I need to increase RAM, how is that done?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

512 is not enough ram, like I said with 1Gig I ran out and was getting those messages, do you have the book for your mother board? If not do you know for sure what make and model? If you don't know for sure can you contact the vendor of your computer? Ok that was some ideas, you can also if comfortable remove the side panel/cover make sure it is unplugged, touch the metal frame before touching anything inside. The ram is held in by clips that swing outward about 3/16" be gentle carefull not to break, remove the ram by pulling it straight up. Go to Best Buy or the like and get 1 Gig for now, the ram has a key slot so you can not put it in wrong. Put the new ram in push the lock clips back in place they will snap in, put the cover back on plug it in and start it up. That should do you well for awhile until the junk builds up again! The improvement will be extremely pleasant!

Phil

I know very little compared to many up here but I have built and rehabbed far more machines then most and run a computer cleaning service on the side.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Exact wording of the error message...may reveal something useful.

Louis

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Exact wording of the error message...may reveal something useful.

Louis

heh, well, I did write it down :thumbsup: here it is:

your system is low on virtual memory. windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. during the process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.

so, I was getting that for about 2 months off and on (now it's every day) and now that I installed AVG internet security it's gotten much worse. I'm considering removing some large files to discs that I never listen to, lots of songs on my machine. so, will start there and see how to get more RAM too.

thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

p.s. I hadn't written it down until today, so hopefully that is useful. thanks!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Howstuffworks How Virtual Memory Works - http://www.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm

How can I fix too little virtual memory in Windows from the Ask Dave Taylor! Tech Support Blog - http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix...in_windows.html

TweakHound - Understanding Virtual Memory - http://tweakhound.com/xp/virtualmemory.htm

Depending on how much RAM is installed, I suggest letting XP manage the virtual memory. If insufficient RAM is installed...best suggestion I can make is...get more.

Be sure to get the type of RAM designed for your system.

Louis

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Like I posted earlier 512 fo XP is marginal to say the least, 1 gig is Ok/passable and will satisfy many, but if you get bored waiting for you system to load and programs to load got to 2Gigs.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:35 AM

512 probably is too little but I get by just fine with only 640 meg of ram. Never feel my system runs slow and only get that virtual memory thing happening if it has been over a week or so between rebooting.

#10 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

small update. I did a little clean-up last night. I removed a bunch of old programs that are no longer being used. I like that the add/remove programs tells you when the last time it was used. next I ran the disk cleanup utility and then after that I ran the disk defragmenter. and that one took a very long time!! I had to stop it when it was 78% complete because I needed to shut down and go to bed. but am going to set it off again later until it's complete. already I am noticing things running smoother. still going to check into getting more RAM too but at least this stuff helped!

thanks for all the good information and advice, appreciate it!!

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

Howstuffworks How Virtual Memory Works - http://www.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm

How can I fix too little virtual memory in Windows from the Ask Dave Taylor! Tech Support Blog - http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix...in_windows.html

TweakHound - Understanding Virtual Memory - http://tweakhound.com/xp/virtualmemory.htm

Depending on how much RAM is installed, I suggest letting XP manage the virtual memory. If insufficient RAM is installed...best suggestion I can make is...get more.

Be sure to get the type of RAM designed for your system.

Louis

oh yea...I did the stuff in your "Ask Dave Taylor" link and saw that IE is the biggest memory hog and maybe there's a leak in there. but I stopped short of uninstalling it and reinstalling it. not sure I am that comfortable doing that. so, am gonna see how long the changes I made will last. but it was very informative!

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

Once you bump up the memory this will be all forgotten!

Phil :thumbsup:

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have tried all kinds of Virtual Memory settings and found the best answer is lots of ram and let windows do the rest. It will manage virtual memory better than any numbers I put in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users