Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer (Gaming Experience)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Eagle

Desert Eagle

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

I have a Windows Vista, and I should be able to play games at a stable speed such as; Civilization III/IV, and The Settlers.

Here are my computer specs:
CPU - AMD Athlon ™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200 2.20GHz
RAM - 1 GB (1024 MB)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE

Since my GPU is taking some RAM out of my 1024 MB Ram. Is it possible that the GPU's usage of ram, and the processor are what makes my game unstable in terms of speed/loading/scrolling/etc.

Edited by Desert Eagle, 08 May 2009 - 03:12 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

I have a Windows Vista, and I should be able to play games at a stable speed .........

Not on that system with Vista.

Invest in another gig of RAM first and see if it is acceptable. That onboard graphics is sluggish to begin with but with enough RAM it might run your games OK. Your hard drive has to be thrashing with Vista/integrated video/1 gig RAM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Desert Eagle

Desert Eagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

Can you tell me how I would determine if a RAM product is compatible/best for my computer.
Posted Image

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

crucial.com has a scanner that will scan your computers memory banks to let you know how many slots it has, how many slots are occupied now, how much memory each slot can hold, and the type of memory you'll need. I wouldn't buy the memory from them though, as you can usually find the same exact thing, if not better on newegg.com for cheaper.

1gb of ram is not enough ram to game with on vista. I was using 2gb and was having some performance issues, but that was with newer games. get at least 2gb, but you may want to go up 3gb if you have the money. If you have four ram slots, and two have a 512mb stick in to make your 1gb, I would toss a 1gb stick in each of the remainign two slots to give you 3gb. DDR2 ram (which I assume your compuetr uses) is getting very cheap now. you could probably get 2gb for $20-$25 on newegg.com
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Desert Eagle

Desert Eagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks. I know adding more memory will not resolve all my issues, so I am thinking of buying a new computer in the next couple of months, but
thanks so much for informing me about RAMs. I'll take that into consideration, I guess I wasn't really looking into the specs in full detail when I bought this
computer 2 years ago.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users