Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Move, Close, Minimize any Windows.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:00 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED - Scroll down for my solution.

Hi

I am unable to close, maximise, minimize, resize or move any windows that I open. It doesn't matter what it is, firefox, word, control panel - any window that has been opened will not close. I can close programs using task manager, but even task manager itself will not close! This problem occured after I was about to install ubuntu on an external hard drive, but stopped half way when I decided to create a bigger partition. I do not understand how this could affect anything as when I was doing this I removed my internal hard drive with vista installed from my laptop. Also, I got a problem with COMODO Firewall when I restarted, saying there was a bug in cfp.exe. I can not uninstall Comodo. I have tried system restore already.

Edit: Also just discovered, when I get any pop up there is no writing on the buttons, although they do still work. E.g. Uninstalling a program, with the 'yes' or 'no' (might be different what it actually says, but I know that's what the buttons mean) buttons being blank, although still clickable.

2nd Edit: I actually remembered that I installed Bootskin from Stardock, but never actually changed anything the program and uninstalled it. So I thought this would have nothing to do with my problem, but then I found this:- http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...amp;m=1&p=1

Someone with the same problem, although there wasn't a clear solution.

Please help,
Thanks
Connor

Edited by Connor!, 08 May 2009 - 05:36 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

Anyone think they might have a solution? You never realise how much you close, maximise, resize windows etc until you can't!
I'm positive that it has something to do with the bootskin program, seeing as I also found someone with very similar problem. I thought I had a full back up of everything, but it turns out it was only my program files folder. I have no vista cd as vista came pre-installed with 'make your own backup' software on the computer. I am unsure if I'll be able to find the backup cd's I created. If I had to do some sort of reinstall, I have the product key on the back of my laptop, if there is some way around it using no cd's.

Thanks

Edit: After looking around and finding more people with the same problem, it looked as if it was a problem to do with the file user32.dll.mui
Someone had said it was in windows/en-US but when I looked it wasn't there (showing hidden files) so I did an advanced search on user32.dll.mui and found several items, some were named user32.dll.mui copy and user32renamed.dll.mui . I took ownership of the file and en-US folder and renamed the user32renamed.dll.mui to user32.dll.mui and moved it to the en-US folder and restarted - the result being nothing.

can anyone help on this information?

Hi, got it fixed so thought I would share as I know there have been others who have reinstalled windows because of this.

Firstly, go to C:\Windows\System32\en-US and search for user32.dll.mui - chances are you will have a few results, one will be the one in use and any others will be backups, possibly named user32copy.dll.mui or similar. Take permission of the file user32.dll.mui. Find out how here. You are looking to change permissions of a file, which starts at step 12 on this particular site. After that, rename user32.dll.mui to user32old.dll.mui or similar and find another user32.dll.mui copy from the same en-US folder (named user32copy.dll.mui or similar) and take permissions for that file. Then rename that to user32.dll.mui and restart your computer - everything should be working fine.

Edited by Connor!, 08 May 2009 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users