Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can my internet service be installed...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

Back again hehe...*sigh*... :thumbsup: New hard drive, Windows XP installed, Gateway laptop.

I found that under "Other Devices" my Multimedia Audio, Ethernet, Mass Storage, Network, PCI Modem, SM Bus and Video Controllers are not installed. They all have a yellow ? next to them. When I try and install them it asks to connect to the internet.

Do I need any of those to use my wireless internet connection (DSL)? Im looking at Network when I ask that.

I just dont wanna call my ISP and have them come to my house for nothing in case its not possible, but I assume I could fix all that if I had the internet running on it. Theres no sound and on a second look the drivers seem to be fine so Im guessing the lack of the Multimedia Audio is why the sound doesnt work.

Edited by wildcat2000, 08 May 2009 - 01:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:42 AM

As per the other topic, use another computer to download all the drivers from Gateway Support to a flash drive and install them beginning with the motherboard driver, the remaining order should not matter. Once all the devices have drivers installed, the system will be able to be set up to access the internet.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

As per the other topic,

The other topic mentioned: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225033/drivers-wont-install/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Oh, sorry about that. I didnt know if I should keep replying to my previous topics cause I thought they sounded too diffrent from each new problem I discovered. Anyway ok thanks everyone...uhh...I guess if I run into anything else I'll come back to this thread.

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

I was able too install the Motherboard CPU driver from Gateway, installed on first try actually, so I tryed the Network and Audio Divers again but they still won't install. Audio Driver keeps saying "Failure".

I don't know what to do anymore...the name of this site describes my computer perfectly :thumbsup:

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

Two possibilities spring to mind.

The drivers that won't install may have been corrupted during download, try downloading fresh copies.

A previous failed installation can cause subsequent installs to also fail. So if not having the CPU/motherboard support drivers installed at first upset the first batch of audio & network drivers, the failed installs may need to be cleared out. If the drivers are installed by running an .exe file, look in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, and choose to remove any references to the Audio and Network drivers you tried to install. Then re-boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 at boot) and look in Device Manager. It will show you if there are any "phantom" remnants of device drivers for Audio or Network, remove any that show. Re-start and try the Network and Audio driver installations again, see how it goes.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

Nope none of that worked, even searched the locations for each driver I tryed installing to make sure there wasnt any remnants like you said...thier were, I deleted them...tryed the reinstalls and still didnt work.

Oh and none them showed up in Add/Remove Programs either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users