Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home infected unable to connect to anti virus sites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 worried dragon

worried dragon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi there.

Hubby said he had a problem with his XP home laptop earlier tonight. It had frozen on the last site he visited and couldnt get it switched off - had to pull battery.

He was running slow, able to get to sites like Ebay but AVGfree was reporting that the download server was unavailable. I checked with mine and no problem connecting to AVG so tried again on his laptop and got the same result. I could do a scan with AVG but all it found was tracking cookies some I hadn't seen before "revski.net" and it seems to have deleted them. I tried to update AVG manually with the lates files from my pen drive but any attempt to open AVG from Programs and it hangs again. (Sinking feeling happened about now :thumbsup:( )

I tried to run his Spybot but it wont open. Tried to update it from the menu and it reports that theres an error with the database. Its not letting Malwarebytes run either. I tried Kapersky online scanner and it just hangs.

Meanwhile it keeps freezing and again had to pull battery (holding down power button didnt work).

Tried to boot into safe mode and it reports "we appologise, windows was unable to boot into safe mode". Only able to go to last known working configuration, it boots slowly but OK.

I'm sort of leaning towards Conficker or Zlob although I haven't tried to go to WU yet, but I'm assuming it wont allow it. So help needed from your expert selves.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tsandco

tsandco

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

I am having the exact same issue described in my thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225218/difficult-virus/

Hope someone can help

#3 worried dragon

worried dragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

Hi again to any expert replying.

I won't be back on line until tomight. Thanks in advance again.

#4 worried dragon

worried dragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:03 AM

tsandco

Hope you get fixed up as well. What a day. Hubby is going for minor surgery at the quacks after lunch. So I really need this like a hole in the head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users