Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cinoreah

Cinoreah

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

When I bought my current computer about 4 years ago, I didn't hook up the monitor that came with it as I liked the one I was already using. It finally went south on me and I brought out the "new" one which by that time was over a year old.

When I hooked it up it had double vision. Actually it's like there is a shaded half moon with a white half moon connected to that to the right. It was too late to return it as the warranty had expired , so I was stuck. I have pretty much gotten used to it and have ignored this for the most part, but lately it's beginning to really bug me.

I contacted HP and they told me to go through a "monitorh" check. Did nothing to improve it so I did it again. Didn't change anything.

It's an HP M50. I'd rather not buy a new one if I don't have to. I would appreciate any help someone could give me. TIA

(Moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 23 June 2005 - 11:02 PM.

~ The Road To A Friend's House Is Never Long ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:00 AM

I guess nobody knows anything about monitors?? :thumbsup:

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:54 AM

The people here who help out are volunteers they give their time when they can.

I'd look at your display settings, right click on a blank area of the desktop, and drop everything back to basic levels (800x600, 256 colours, 60Hz) and see if the problem goes away. Then return the settings one by one until the problem comes back - that's the one you need to change.

Look in device Manager for the Monitor and if your old monitor is listed remove it OK out and reboot. Then when windows reloads it should detect your 'new' monitor and you can load up the drivers you got with the original system or download the latest ones from the HP site.

If those suggestions don't help then I think you will have to buy another monitor.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:06 AM

Thank you Rimmer.....everything you mentioned is in order so I guess I'm stuck.

I appreciate your input and there's a great group of helpful people here. Have been reading through here and have learned a lot of things so far. :thumbsup:

Cin :flowers:

#5 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:25 AM

haul the monitor over to another computer somewhere, hook it up, see if it acts the same. If it does, next stop is a monitor recycling depot and a new monitor for you.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

Part of the problem may be the long period of unuse. Electronic products often have to be plugged in occasionally or they go dead. (That's the simple explanation.) Capacitors need an occasional charge or, just like a nicad battery, they won't take a charge again.

And that's not really fixable.

#7 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:49 PM

Ok....thanks to all of you....guess its time to bite the bullet and get another. Probably what I get for trying to be frugal and save something until I really needed it. :thumbsup:

BTW.......I love this place.....so many good answers to some questions I have had and never found the right place to go. Keep up the good work all..... :flowers: You're the best!

Cin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users