Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homenetworking help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

Hi guys,

Newbie here. I have an old dell Dimension XPS T700r (I think that's what it's called) I got it few years back. Now I wanna order SBC yahoo DSL which is very cheap with a year contract. I have no knowledge of networking. (I also have a lpatop that has XP and would like to be able to use laptop wirelessly anywhere in the house.

1) Does my desktop have to have a ethernet to be able to do that ?

2) How do I know if my desktop has an ethernet ? I don't remember if I ordered that back then when I configured my system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

you would be wise to purchase an 802.11g (wireless)router. they range from 50$ and up. An etherbet card looks like a phone jack on the back, just wider. (8 instead of 4 wires) you will get a dsl modem from your isp.hook up dsl modem as per instructions from isp, then attach your router to the modem, from there you can attach usually 4 wired computers, (using another etherbet cable)(cat 5) and connect with wireless cards.(your laptop) make sure your laptop has a wireless card integrated, or buy a PCMCIA 802.11g card. then you follow the instructions on the router to configure it to use your new DSL connection.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:33 PM

btw i googled it, your computer has an intregraterd nic
Network Interface: Optional: 3ComŽ 3C905C-TXM 10/100 Remote Wake Up PCI network adapter card
to be exact
:thumbsup:
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

btw i googled it, your computer has an intregraterd nic
Network Interface: Optional: 3ComŽ 3C905C-TXM 10/100 Remote Wake Up PCI network adapter card
to be exact
:thumbsup:

So what does that mean ? I don't need a router ? How do I check in my computer that I do have integrated nic ?

Edited by KISNA, 23 June 2005 - 10:04 PM.

#5 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:05 PM

you will get a dsl modem from your isp.hook up dsl modem as per instructions from isp,

Is that an easy thing to do ? Or do I need a tech guy to come over and do it ?

#6 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:06 PM

Oh and THANK YOU for your reply. :thumbsup:

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:27 AM

That's good advice from Snapper.

Installing a router is definitely the best way to share a DSL connection.

When you sign up for DSL usually your ISP will have a installation CD that shows you, using animations, what to plug into what and when. As you go through the process it will ask you to enter some account details and when its finished it will all be up and running. (that's for connecting directly to your desktop PC)
You might want to visit their website, or call them and ask about setting up the DSL modem with a wireless router. They may have a 'How To' already set out or the installation CD may detect that automatically.

NIC=network card=ethernet port (roughly speaking) which means you will be able to connect your desktop to the router with a Cat5e patch cable. The laptop will connect with its wireless network card.

How do I know if my desktop has an ethernet ?

You need to find the Device Manager which is on the Hardware tab under System in Control Panel for WinXP, look for "Network Adapters" and if it lists something like an xyz-ethernet-NIC then you're ready to roll.

After you get the wireless network running you should give some thought to setting up the wireless security options which are available in the router configuration. Enable the security settings, choose a wireless network name and choose a phrase to set up the encryption keys. Enter the same info into your laptop wireless card and you will work just as before, only now your neighbours wont be able to use your bandwidth!

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

Look on the back of your computer for a plug that looks like a phone jack but larger. That's an ethernet connector. Many DSL companies send out a modem/router with ethernet connections and wireless too, like Actiontec. To set it up, you have to have your username and password from the DSL company that you should receive in a separate mailing, and you'll need to put filters on all your phone lines. Instructions should come with the setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users