Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Panda Cloud Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 spcorrell

spcorrell

Authorized Panda Security Representative

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm a newbie here and Grinler, who I PMd, agreed you all might be interested in something I've been working on:

Panda Security just announced the availability of its new antivirus product, Panda Cloud Antivirus. It's a free downloadable product that automatically detects and remediates malware in the cloud, versus locally, to protect against viruses. In addition to hosting the malware classification and remediation process in the cloud, the new product uses a thin-client architecture to minimize heavy resource consumption that are characteristic of most traditional, signature-based solutions.

If you're interested and want to test it yourself, here's a link to the free download: http://www.cloudantivirus.com

Other resources:I'd love to hear feedback on the product so we know what we're doing right and what we can also do better in the next rev. Feel free to post your comments here, PM me or e-mail me at e-mail removed to protect from spambots. ~ OB any time.

Thanks for letting me share about this and contribute to your forum.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 May 2009 - 11:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

I tried it yesterday and overall found was good.

I liked the simplicity, the GUI, the low system impact, the 'cloud' theory, but when I tested it on malware it didn't perform as well as I'd hoped... I'll try it again when it comes out of beta, but until then I'm sticking with Avira.

#3 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

Completely agree with iisjman07, I'm going to wait for more users to join the community. Its a great idea with lots of potential. :thumbsup:
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#4 spcorrell

spcorrell

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Happy to hear you both like the concept. You're right, the more people who use Cloud Antivirus, the more powerful it becomes. Within a week of the beta launch, we already have more than 100,000 users. We're pretty confident that user base will grow exponentially in the next year as people see the security benefits of the cloud. The idea that both your friends and strangers' computers can help you stay safe is really resonating.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

What do you mean by "the cloud". Thunderstorms and tornadoes come to mind, but I don't think that's what you mean. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

Orange Blossom:

Watching this video explains everything well:
http://bit.ly/iuZOK

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

Verbal description please? I'm on dial-up which makes most videos impossible to watch and the few that are viewable take forever to load. Can't take the time for that.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

http://lifehacker.com/5234347/panda-cloud-antivirus-is-a-lightweight-always+updated-virus-killer

Windows only: Panda Cloud Antivirus uses the power of cloud computing to scan and eliminate viruses from your PC that can identify new malware in almost real time.

Traditional anti-virus applications simply download an update from the servers on a periodic basis to keep your virus definitions scanning for the latest viruses—Cloud Antivirus uses their cloud system to do the work of classifying and scanning for new viruses, and is constantly updated with the latest virus information based on information from every other PC running the software.

The client is lightweight, taking a mere 16mb of RAM on our test system—and while it caches a copy of the definitions for offline use, it doesn't seem to take much drive space either. We've not had a chance to test the software against real malware—in our testing it quickly found and eliminated a bunch of spy cookies, but it's refreshing to see new innovation in the boring world of virus killing.

Panda Cloud Antivirus is a free download for 32-bit Windows only, and according to CNET will stay free for personal use even after it is released from beta. For more, check out the five best malware removal tools, and the five best antivirus applications.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

But what is meant by the "power of cloud" ? That is my real question. What is this 'cloud'? ~ OB

Orange Blossom

#10 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#11 spcorrell

spcorrell

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

But what is meant by the "power of cloud" ? That is my real question. What is this 'cloud'? ~ OB

Panda Cloud Antivirus basically does most of the scanning remotely from the Internet instead of having a bunch of CPU-intensive scanning technologies locally. This “remote scanning” ability is what is termed as “cloud scanning.”

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hmm. Interesting. So in what way does this differ from an On-line scan? ~ OB

Orange Blossom

#13 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

What operating systems does it require?
Will it work on older systems, such as Windows ME?
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

#14 spcorrell

spcorrell

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hmm. Interesting. So in what way does this differ from an On-line scan? ~ OB

Good question. Online antivirus scanners are on-demand scans (at a specific point in time) of the status of a PC. Most online scanners don’t even disinfect. Panda Cloud Antivirus is a complete AV product which protects in real-time and in the background, checks every file in the PC to make sure your computer is not infected with malware - just like a full-blown for-pay AV product.

What operating systems does it require?
Will it work on older systems, such as Windows ME?

It requires Windows XP or Vista. Unfortunately Cloud Antivirus won't work under pre-XP systems because we're developing it from scratch and are using the latest programming interfaces.

#15 spcorrell

spcorrell

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hope you all have been liking the beta over the last few months. To those of you who have been testing, we released version 2.0 today. We’ve fixed the initial slow post-install scan some users experienced, created an “undo” option for the recycle bin and more. This version does require a download (after uninstalling the current version).

We have the full rundown along with the link to the download on our blog: http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2009/06/30/...beta2-released/

Also, keep your eyes peeled for version 3.0 in early fall. We’re working on some exciting stuff (and often requested features) for that version: new platforms (Windows7, 64bits), improved features, a new site, a Collective Intelligence real-time encyclopedia and more.

I also know there was confusion a few months back on the "cloud" terminology. For anyone new reading this, you should watch our "In Black and White" video. Otherwise, feel free to shoot me questions here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users