Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to open local drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rohit Bhal

Rohit Bhal

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

all hard drives are not opening - say recylcer.........my operating system is win xp sp3.i have installed bit defender09.i have formated computer but after that it says the same thing after the first reboot.i can't even quick format the drives.i can't do the full format and can't use quick format option.but when i type the address of local drives in adress bar it opens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi.
You actually probably only have 1 hard drive with Windows & all of your programs installed on it.
The programs & utilities are what won't open.
It sounds like you may have aquired a virus.
I suggest you do a full virus scan with your anti-virus program.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

First how did you "format" the drive did you use a utility or did you do it through windows? Have you tried re-installing windows yet? If so what happens? When you say first reboot how are you accessing the drives through MS-DOS? Sorry for all the questions just need to be sure what has happened before recommending a solution.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Rohit Bhal

Rohit Bhal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

first bit defender found virus in autorun.inf and quarantined it.after that many problems started to occur so i thought that it would be better to format only c: drive through dos and install win xp sp3 and after that i was not able to open my local drives.so i read many forms and deleted autorun.inf of all local drives and now i am able to open my drives but i can't update bit defrnder total security.

Edited by Rohit Bhal, 08 May 2009 - 12:18 AM.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

The only way you can format the C drive with windows installed on it i[& no other OS on another drive/partition] is to boot the XP disk, delete the partition & allow the HD to format.
You would then be doing a clean install of XP .

As far as I know it is impossible to format the drive with XP on it while XP is running.

Did you by chance do a System Restore ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Rohit Bhal

Rohit Bhal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

yes, i have done system restore before formatting.i can open all local drives except d drive it says acess denied and can't format it.i ahve 7 drives all of them are opening except d drive and i have found viruses they are trojan.reboot.40985 and trojan.starter.992 and removed them.
i'm not able to use format utiltiy of windows. it says windows was unable to complete the format.i have removed all virus using dr.webcure it.i can't format any drive using that.open my computer ------> right click drive----->format--->quick format or format.it doesn't format the drive.

Edited by Rohit Bhal, 08 May 2009 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users