Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of getting ubuntu (desktop i think)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

As you can see from the title i am thinking of downloading ubuntu, i am currently running windows and i would use ubuntu for my website designing, what can it do that windows xp cannot? i.e why should i download it?

Thanks, Wolfy87.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Well, the main thing about Ubuntu (from personal experience) is that it's more reliable than Windows, and it won't slow down over time (as much anyway). Ubuntu is not as prone to viruses as Windows is, which means you don't have to download any antivirus software. Ubuntu can also easily utilize a 3D Cube desktop.

Keeping Windows is good for running some non-Linux apps, such as most popular games, but Ubuntu runs almost anything Windows does otherwise. Of course, the apps are under different names.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

It's sounds great, I have the cd and I am going to install it when I get home, will it It run on my computer aswell as windows and I choose what I boot from and also from a programming point of view...I am a web desiner and have heard that ubuntu is good for web design and also I program in visual basic on my pc so can I make applicatins in c/c++ for my ubuntu?

Thankyou, Wolfy87.

#4 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

I am running off of Ubuntu as we speak :trumpet: it looks and performs great, although I have it on a dodgy screen resolution because my highest will not centre :flowers:, mouse is a bit sensitive too even though it is on the lowest setting :thumbsup:.

Compared to windows, this is better on first impressions.

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

For the screen resolution, you may have to manually center it by using the buttons on the front of the monitor. I don't know what to do about the mouse, though.

#6 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

I can't find the manyal center with my screen, all I got is auto ajust and that moves it an inch to the right LOL and I'm getting used to the mouse now, and I've been doing some bash and C :thumbsup: sudo and all that jazz.

Thanks, Wolfy87.

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

There's no menu on your monitor for V. Stretch, H. Stretch, H. Position, and V. Position?

Well, I'm glad you're doing what you like to do in Ubuntu. :thumbsup:

#8 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

If you do web development, you will love Linux. You can use C/C++, Python, Pearl, etc. The world is at your fingertips.

#9 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

Well i have been doing some c and havent tryed my html etc yet but i set my screen res to auto...and now if if i put my mouse at the right side of the screen it keeps panning right into this black bit, i dont know what is wrong with it :thumbsup: and every time i change my screen res the screen goes black

Edit:
Ok its fixed, im not sure what i did...but its fixed, its all blurry but i dare not chage it anymore lol i set it to the maimum width, 1024 or somthing and the screen was tiny, my screen res is just plain messed up, ah well i guess i will have to deal with the blurryness

Edited by Wolfy87, 09 May 2009 - 05:27 AM.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

check the refresh rate. some LCD monitors use odd refresh rates that may have to be set manually, should be in the same dialoge box as setting the screen res but on another tab.

Posted Image

#11 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

Ok i was wrong, my screen res is bad i.e its all blurry, i used to use 1440 x somthing on XP and i still have a huge gap on the right that i can pan to :thumbsup: can anyone help...

Thanks, Wolfy87.

#12 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Oh dont worry i fixed it myself, i had to go into xconfig etc and change some bits.

Thanks anyway, Wolfy87.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users