Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 orange juice

orange juice

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

i cant change my screen resolution. it's stuck on 600x400. i have downloaded and installed the right driver for my video card and monitor but i still wont change.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

Hi, welcome to BleepingComputer.

i have downloaded and installed the right driver for my video card and monitor

Are you sure? Is the video correctly identified in Device Manager?

600 x 400 is an unusual resolution, do you mean 640 x 480?

Are you unable to change the resolution because others are not offered, or do you change the setting but it goes back?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 orange juice

orange juice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:10 AM

yes the video card is correctly identified, and yes i mean 640 x 480 sorry (i say 600x400 cuz its the closest hundred). the other resolutions are offered but when i set it to say...1280x1024, and apply, the screen goes black for a second then its bak to 640 by 480. thats for trying to help btw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Try uninstalling the current video drivers....then installing current or updated video drivers. Users are typically restricted to one resolution when video drivers are either not installed or damaged and not working properly.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#5 orange juice

orange juice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

okay, i downloaded the lastest driver from the nvidia, uninstalled the current driver and installed the one i downloaded. at the end of the setup my resolution changed automatically to the higher resolution and i let the setup restart my computer. after it restarted its back in 640x480, i try to change it in the settings and it does the same thing [goes black and stays in 640x480]. any ideas? got my hopes up when i saw a change in the resolution.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:13 AM

Please tell us what type of system you have (ie Model if it is a brandname, motherboard and video card models if it's generic), the Operating System being used, and details of your monitor (eg since you mention 1280x1024, I guess it must go up to this resolution).

Also, what were the circumstances around this beginning to happen - did it just start doing this suddenly or after some change was made? And you said it goes black for a second - is it literally a second, or is it the 30 seconds that you are normally given to confirm a resolution change before it reverts?

Edited by Platypus, 11 May 2009 - 07:17 AM.

#7 orange juice

orange juice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:26 AM

its alrite guys, its fixed, i dunno how, my antivirus updated and requested a restart so i did and its now in full resolution. thanks

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Glad to hear it's come good - computers can be strange sometimes... :thumbsup:

Don't hesitate to get back to us if there's ever any further difficulties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users