Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you block Java based gaming websites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck the programmer

Chuck the programmer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

My wife is spending too much time playing with other men and I've tried to block one gaming website but there are a million backdoors and I could spend all my time blocking every backdoor (backdoor meaning alternate url) on the internet.

How can I block java based gaming websites? There is one website with many backdoors like sneakin that I don't want to mention.

I would need a registry edit to disable java or something to slow java down to a crawl.

It sounds mean but there are too many inappropriate messages from people who aren't in our marriage.

Any advice appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

hey chuck sent you a pm
Posted Image

#3 Zeroshin

Zeroshin

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Well...if you're using firefox you can disable the java plug-in and I think you can go into the internet options and do that on Internet Explorer. Also if you can find the Java control console you can turn it off that way...just as long as your wife isn't too computer smart you should be able to get ahead of her on that. Java control panal or console...whatever it calls itself now-a-days is usually in the same folder it is installed into...but I don't really know...I've moved Java on my computer from its original place...and kinda forgot.

#4 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

yes that would work but like you said, it only takes a second to enable java again.....one google search and that would be resolved i bet......plus downloading a new browser would fix it as well since most come with java enabled by default......the tricky part is not killing java all together as you will likely find other websites that you need this for......i'm thinking the best method is probably a firewall solution such as Norton that can block gaming applets specifically.....i'll keep searching.....maybe we can find a solution utilizing the java console like zero mentioned....
Posted Image

#5 Chuck the programmer

Chuck the programmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

We have Norton 360 but even that can be disabled.

She has I.E. and Firefox and the users on the site give good instructions on how to reinstall Java.

The only thing we use are online maps like mapquest, google and yahoo.

I don't think the HP printer works on Java.

#6 Zeroshin

Zeroshin

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Oh well, you can make a new windows account and set a password on Java, and restrict it from all the other users. Just don't have it as your default user or she'll catch on...I don't really know how to explain this though...I fail at explaining...but I am trying to help! :thumbsup: Though unfortunately, the easiest way is just to manually block sites...Though some gaming sites use active-x which you can disable.

Edited by Zeroshin, 07 May 2009 - 10:47 AM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hmmm, wonder what the women members have to say about this.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

I am not a marriage counselor (or even married) but it seems to me that rather than trying to thwart your wife, you should talk to her about your concerns.

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

edit

Edited by Dennis H, 08 May 2009 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users