Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstallation of my DVD/CD-ROM drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lappy

lappy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:31 AM

Working a Windows XP Professional (SP3), an official copy/nothing about the hardware and OS should be pirated, bought directly from Dell.

Popped in a DVD last night, computer didn't even recognize the drive. Didn't show up as a separate drive in "My Computer", nothing, as if it didn't exist at all.

I have the official reinstallation and repair discs that came with my laptop (Dell Latitude 630), so I tried using the MS Help and Support guides to reinstall the drivers for the disc drive. In my brilliance/impatience/sleep deprived state, I didn't realize until AFTER uninstalling the drive (which I'm not sure I even did with complete success) that the disc can't be read in a drive which isn't read my machine! Now I'm stuck, sigh.

Tried to see if I could do it through the Device Manager and Add Hardware Wizard but still sorely stuck

Sigh. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup: I haven't felt this stupid since...oh, wait, this morning. In my grogginess, my cell fell off my bed and directly into a cup of water on the floor, so now it too doesn't work.

*goes off to self-flagelate*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

When you open My Computer do you have a "D" drive ?

If the drive shows but the disk doesn't work, is not recognized as being in the drive, wash the dish with some warm water & mild dish washing soap.
Dry it [gently] by going from the center out in a straight line, don't go around the disk in a circle.
Try it in the frive.
If it still doesn't work more then likely the read lens in the drive has failed.

BTW, If you uninstalled the drive in the device manager it should automatically be reinstalled when you start the computer.
The unit should be able to boot from it also since you uninstalled it from Windows, not the unit.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 07 May 2009 - 06:48 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

Get more sleep, LOL.

So you uninstalled the drive in Device Manager??
Did you then reboot to see if Windows picked up the CD drive? If the device is showing and is enabled, Windows should automatically load drivers for it at reboot.

Do you have Dell support installed?
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global....;l=en&s=gen

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 lappy

lappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:06 AM

Fairjoeblue:

No, My Computer doesn't recognize the drive at all, it's just blank. Under the Hard Disk Drive header in My Computer it only reads the C drive. I'll insert a disc, hear the familiar start up mumbles as it begins spinning and starts to load, and then...nothing. No mumbles/activity/disc driver recognition. Tried using a bunch of different kinds of CD and DVDs to see if it'll read anything, but nothing happens.

My laptop is my baby. I make sure it's never dropped/shoved/used by others. The drive was working fine just a day or so before (when I successfully used the Windows OS repair CD to fix a registry key), I update my AV and spyware programs almost daily, and generally keep it free of clutters. I can't think of any reason why my D drive would disappear.

Also, after restarting the computer the drive didn't reinstall automatically. Cool, though, because I didn't know it was supposed to that anyways.

rowal5555:

Yes, I think I did, at least I tried doing so as I was following MS Help and Support. No, the drive still didn't show up, see the above paragraphs.

Um, the Dell Support Center looks familiar but I don't have it on my computer, thanks. I'll download it now and see if it'll help.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

Hi Lappy. How's progress?

You could try this (#399 on the right)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 lappy

lappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

Hi rowal5555. Progress is not happening. I tried the link but I don't think it worked, though I certainly bookmarked the site for future use, thanks!

Device Manager is giving me an error code, the meaning of which I don't know. Perhaps you or someone else does?

Posted Image

Edited by lappy, 11 May 2009 - 01:11 AM.

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:57 AM

Hi Lappy

Click the TROUBLESHOOT button in that Properties box and follow thru the steps. If you find a link in those boxes, a help window will open up which quite often tells you how to fix a problem.
Before you do anything else, click on that "enable this device" window at the bottom, and reboot. Probably won't work but worth a try.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

A search in Google for "error code 32 in windows cdrom" gives me this as the first hit:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.

I'd suggest to give that article a try and see if it fixes your probem.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

Delete the upper and lower filter keys
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

The OP has XP which doesn't have the filters.
The filters are a Vista thing.

lappy,

If the cd drive won't read a disk my first thought is that the read lens in the drive has failed.

There are only a few things that will cause the drive to fail to work.

faulty drive
faulty or loose connection cable
faulty or loose power connection
secondary IDE controller on the motherboard has failed
Corrupt BIOS

[If it's either of the last 2 you need a new motherboard :thumbsup: ]

The thing is, it being a laptop it's a lot harder to try stuff.

Before I started spending any $ on guesses I'd take it to a shop & have it diagnosed.

BTW, A read lens can fail at any time.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#11 lappy

lappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

Sorry for the disappearance, life called.

It works now thanks to Dev Mgr's link to the Microsoft fix, I guess it was a registry error. My cell phone works too now that's it dry. :thumbsup: Thanks again for all the help!

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

The OP has XP which doesn't have the filters.
The filters are a Vista thing.

I beg to differ about that. If you read the whole article you will find this at the bottom of the page

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional
* Windows Vista Business
* Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
* Windows Vista Enterprise
* Windows Vista Home Basic
* Windows Vista Home Premium
* Windows Vista Starter
* Windows Vista Ultimate

It also works for W2k
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users